Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gmenik

cannot see my workgroup

hi everybody smile

i am kind of rookie about this networking stuff pls help. we have four computer @ home, my computer is connected directly to the internet through a hub that is connected to cable box w/ my own ip address. from that hub linksys router box is connected so they can access the internet and see each other in the network. now i put extra net card in my system so i can connect it to the router so i can join and see them. the problem was they can see me but i can't see them ;( . how do i fix this....i can ping them but thats all. thanx much wink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mainboard: ep 8rda+, xp 2500+ barton, win2k pro sp3

There are a few things you can try first:

1. Are you on the same workgroup?

2. Share a resource on one of the PCs (not yours)

let's say you got a computer named toto (I love that name)

you share a directory as "inbox"

on your pc type the following command (you replace the names by those of your network of course)

net use * \\toto\inbox

If succesfull, it will say something like:

Drive Z: is now connected to \\toto\inbox

Command completed succesfully.

It sounds like there are two "master browser" on your network.

Several time only manually connecting a resource (like this) solved

the problem, try it...

Give some feedback!

thanx for responding......yes we're in same workgroup. it didn't work. it sez system error 53 has accured. the network path was not found.....

how this thing work if you got two access. 1 is onboard lan were others see me and the other one is network adapter were i access internet coz i can see my computer only. is there any other way i can add network drive?

Your problem is a name resolution problem. That explains why no one can see you, or why you can't connect manually someone's resource. But you still can ping them because you do know their address.

For example you can do:

ping 192.168.0.1

But you can't do

ping toto (I suppose the computer's name is toto)

Okay now, now... You got two Network Adapter...

What is the role of your PC? From what I understand you got a full router Linksys... Therefore the second network adapter is NOT needed.

It would help if you told me the model of your router.. I have no idea if it's a 8 port, 4 port or even 1 port that needs a hub to work...

That is, if the internet is shared on a hardwrae router, you only need ONE network adapter on each pc... getting a second one could hint a strategy of wiring... Let me explain by a schematic:

PC1------------- H

PC2------------- U ----- ROUTER -------- MODEM --------------- ISP

PC3------------- B

PC4------------- .

If this is your case, (the hub might be integrated in the router) you dont need a second card. In fact the second card could lead to some problems.

Keep me informed :x

well before i want to access my computer outside using ftp so i subscribe for two ip address from cox. one is for me and the other ip is for the router so the 3 pc can browse internet w/ a little bit security(like firewall) now that i need to access the other computer i decided to put another net card. the problem is they can see me but i cannot see them. i unplug the nic that goes directly to the intenet when i browse my workgroup i cannot see my computer. when i plug it in i see only myself in this workgroup. i think it uses the nic that go directly to the hub not to the router. i'm sorry men for asking stupid problem like this i hope you've patient on me. i just have no idea to figure it out.

thanx jim

Browsing is the worst PC discovery method as it is an unreliable technology (with up to a 48 minute turnover of registry with a master browser).

This topic has been covered heavily and I would suggest searching for it under myself, clutch, AlecStaar, or DosFreak.

Links for ya

http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/155/05/4.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.asp...;NoWebContent=1

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=288801

http://www.labmice.net/net working/browsersrvc.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/...PingConnect.asp

Regarding your setup, why are 2 IPs needed when 1 can be used for the router, then having ports 20 and 21 forwarded to the machine that needs external ftp access. That would alone simplify your setup.

Multihomed machines (as I understand your setup) have problems browsing, so I would suggest disabling File n Printer sharing on the external nic.

If I am mistaken in your setup, please correct me. And if you need to keep your network configuration the way it is, you can manipulate the network routing tables using ROUTE from the CLI.

HTH smile

thanx DS3Circuit....i think my problem is my computer always using the net card that goes directly to the internet (main hub) not the one going to the router. how do i tell my computer to use this onboard land to browse the network. any ideas.

jim

The computer browser is dependent on NetBIOS; therefore, you may be able to disable NetBIOS on secondary interfaces. The computer browser client will not use interfaces with NetBIOS disabled.

In other words, try disabling file n printer sharing on the external nic.

Also reconfiguring your setup would help.

sorry i don't understand what you mean disable net bios to the netcard that browse the LAN? or the one that goes direct to cable modem? print and file sharing is disable (card that goes direct to cable modem) by the way thanx for being patient i appreciate it very much....i didn't go to school for this its only experience. i learn alot of this stuff for all the guys like you who are willing to help. i will post if it works

thanx jim

I want to thank for you all for helping me specially DS3Circuit.

hey dude it works I can browse my lan now. thanx

jim smile