Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PaTiNsAnE

Cable and Reformat

Hey Evrabuddy,

(possibly stupid question) I just was wondering if It was safe to reformat with a cable modem? If I reinstall the software (Comcast) for the service, will I get the same downstream and upstream? I went from 56k to cable a lil while ago and still have (unfound) tweaks that are for a 56k modem. I average 1788 down and 282 up, rated 1500-256.

Thanks Pat

Well, your question makes little sense when you know how cable modems do work. Reformating, then reinstalling Windows will most likely not affect at all your performance...

The internal modem uses some very old settings used to poll COM ports. The tweaks you were talking about are absolutely innefective in case of cable modems. The external modem does all the work for you, and send the result via your network cable or in some case the USB port.

There's very little way to optimise a cable modem, simply because the modem itself use a very small portion of the available bandwith available. Let me explain:

A network card typically can transfert at speed of 10Mbps or 100Mbps. Your cable connection will sustain at best 1 Mbps most of the time. Optimizing your connection to your modem is a bit worthless to say the least.

Hope that does help! laugh

Oh well time to go to sleep, midnite in Canada!! x)

it is a shem you have to use your ISp's software.

can you not connect with out it?

I know rogers in canada use to give software, but u did not need it and you often got better connections with out it.

PS - may want to use the tags on your sig and make it go side to side instead of up and down.

P.S - most cable modem connect to PC's with a 10mb conneciton?? - also cable modem's , most, can handle upto 10mb a second from the ISP (or @ least the coax cable can handle 10mb) - but is limited via the gateways of the ISP, this is why "hacking" your modem no longer works, as the speed limits are capped with in your ISP now, not in the modem as they used to be.

I actually reformatted 2 days ago, I didnt need the software like you said, and my bandwidth actually increased! lol

I get 1833 down and 290 up...from 1788/282. Not enough to notice that much of a difference but its good enough for me considering I just upgraded to cable from 56k.

Pat

dont need any software for cablemodem or dsl

no different than plugging into a company network

not using it is the way to go