Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sux

ICS With wireless

I want to take my wireless connection that is hooked up to a wireless router with cable internet and share it so it goes though a ethernet port on my computer to my workstation for repairin pc's. But i dont have the the check box in my wireless card network properties for ICS. ;( It might sound confussing but i didnt really know how to say it right.

If I understand well, basically, you're trying to do what linux folks call ip masquerading, more common appelation would be NAT.

If I got it clear, you got a wireless router with your cable internet provider plugged on it. The other end is plugged into your PC workstation.

You want to be able to plug PCs you repair on the second card of your workstation and enables them to get internet access, thus relieving them of the need to have a wireless network card. If what I just said is right then there are a few products for you.

The most stable seems to be ipmasquerading but you need linux for it...

On Windows there are a few programs I succesfully ran in the past:

Winroute

Wingate

ALthough Wingate seems to have more functions, it was unstable in the past. I don't know if it still is...

But for it to work, you need to set a static ip for your workstation.

Hope that does help! :x

Windows 98 (I think...it's been a while), Windows 2000, XP, and 2003 Server all can handle what is known also as ICS (internet connection sharing).

It basically uses NAT and allows multiple PCs to get out to the net using one routable address that your ISP gives you.

General Win2000/XP ICS Config:

1.) Make sure both NICs are installed and have drivers loaded.

2.) Right click My Network Properties (or Network XXX in the control panel)

3.) Choose the NIC that is connected to the Internet

4.) Right click it and choose Properties

5.) Click Sharing

6.) Check the "Enable internet connection sharing..." box

7.) Press OK and then Reboot when prompted

8.) Bring up your second PC and it should be able to get out (if you are using a crossover cable OR a hub/straigt cable)

Hope this is what you were looking for.

...or you have your main internet access via a wireless card from your PC. You want to use the onboard NIC to connect via a hard wire (CAT5) to your 2nd PC so that it can connect.

You do not have the check box inside the wireless nic properties so that you can enable ICS.

It sounds like the box is not there because the onboard or PCI NIC is not configured or has an issue. I'd start there and make sure both network cards are listed correctly in device manager (control panel/system)

:x

Thx alot guys but after a little i ran the network wizard to see if it had anythin in there about ics and it did so it fixed my prob.