Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Grifta

GeForce2 MX400

I just salavaged some stuff from a guy, to make a buddy of mine a POS comp.

Now one of the things he had was a GeForce2 MX400, without a fan and/or heatsink. I've been looking for an hour for specs but it's just too dam old. Any on how has one of these, does it need one?

Not a huge problem, just means whether i get it to him 2morrow or in a week once I've had time to get to the junk store to pick up a fan and/or sink.

This post has been bolded for you lasy-ass skimming convinience laugh

My gigabyte geeforce2 mx came with a heatsink but no fan. If you can see the chip you better put a chipset cooler or some kind of heatsink on it. You can try to run without but you will most likely have lockups in 3d games. If you can hold your finger on the chip for a minute it's not too hot wink

my geforce 2 mx (older version - slightly slower core/memory) from Creative did not have a heatsink or a fan either. It's specs where (if i remember correctly) 175/175 - core/memory, while your MX400 should be 200/175.

If you are going to overclock the card, buy an appropriate fan/heatsink and put it on. Mine would go to 230/255 MHz before displaying bad colours/textures without a fan/heatsink.

Yeah, it appearantly really doesn't need one.

My games are running fine, although the chip is hotter than stank. But a buddy of mine has the same card and he says he's able to over clock it with out fan/sink.

Hell, who'd a thunk it, a graphics card that doesn't need a fan

Thanks for the help

I've seen the MX200 (32MB version) without HSFs frequently, usually, the MX400 (64MB version) does have at least a heat sink. Look and see if there are two holes near the GPU, and some fan power leads. If so, you can get an aftermarket HSF for very inexpensive that should fit.

It's a 32 meg

and it does have the holes there but I've been running it for a week and it still seems fine

mayeb just throw a fan in the case in the front and one in the back just to assure some air flow is going on.