Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
whoisit

Help with drive recovery!!!

HELP! I've just lost my primary slave drive (Western Digital 120GB) and I didn't have a backup for it yet. I've partitioned it but didn't format it back to NTFS yet. Is there a way to restore all the files on a hard drive after partitioning or formatting? Or reconstruct the files on another drive?

Quote:
HELP! I've just lost my primary slave drive (Western Digital 120GB) and I didn't have a backup for it yet. I've partitioned it but didn't format it back to NTFS yet. Is there a way to restore all the files on a hard drive after partitioning or formatting? Or reconstruct the files on another drive?

Oh man... if you partitioned it after your drive was lost, you're gonna spend a lot of money (or time) to get the data back. Did the drive itself die or did the filesystem just get corrupted? Don't do anything else with the drive, like format it or anything else until you can get a tool or service to recover the data.

Jim

Quote:

Here's some software that has helped me recover from a RAID Zero array, now, not every file was recovered, but most of them were wink

http://www.r-tt.com/

I have no idea what happened to the drive. After turning on the computer the D: drive is gone from My Computer. I went to Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management then the disk setup wizard show up and I partitioned it. Might be a virus. I'll do a scan after finding a way to recover the files.

Yes it's still free. Should I format the drive back to NTFS before running the software or just leave it as the way it is now?

Quote:
www.convar.de

PC Inspector File Recovery 3.0

That's an awesome program! Thanks for the link smile I had a drive corrupt on me over the weekend myself and this recovered my files. I had a backup that was about a week old so I recovered most everything, but this program found the rest!

Quote:

Yes it's still free. Should I format the drive back to NTFS before running the software or just leave it as the way it is now?

no, don't format. that'll make it harder to get the files.

Jim

Well, all I did over the weekend to hose my d: drive was do an xcopy of my favorites folder to a folder called favorites on my d: drive. When I went to look to see that the copy was successful I found a corrupted filesystem.

I found another program on some shareware site that promised to recover the files but all it found was the contents of the favorites folder... weird. didn't find a folder called favorites with the contents of my favorites folder, just the contents of my favorites scattered all over the drive. It was a compressed NTFS drive, who knows... maybe the compressed part changed something with xcopy, I dunno.

After running the PC Inspector File Recovery program it found and recovered almost everything. Some of the files were .zip files that didn't make it through the recovery process though, which leads me to the point of this response 8)

another program worthy of the $29.95 registration fee. Advanced Zip Repair http://www.repairfile.com/ It didn't fix the .zip files completely, but it always made the file openable so I could at least get the intact files out. Worth checking out if you guys haven't seen it yet.

Jim

Great!

Glad to hear my recommendation helped a few more people!

Had to use that program myself when a disgruntled employee pulled something shady within their department ........

PC Inspector File Recovery 3.0 does not work for me. It keeps on giving me a "Division by Zero" error during scanning. I did end up using GetDataBack for NTFS (they made a separate one for FAT) to recover the files. Oh File Scavenger is also a good choice.

P.S. DO NOT use Ontrack's EasyRecovery. It doesn't preserve the tree structure and renamed all the files by file type (all ZIPs in one folder and names 001.zip, 002.zip, etc.), the program runs slow and they charge a lot for the license also.

Ive tried getdataback, it it is pretty good. I have not tried this PC Inspector, and I also have used FileScavenger. Out of GetDataBack and FileScavenger I liked FileScavenger better. I will have to try PC inspector if i ever have the need for it. Hopefully I dont but a nice fallback is good to have.

i will agree with Arin.GetDataBack.

the PC inspector did not work for me.

also the tiramisu it was a little good

Hello,

DataRecoveryWizard utility can help. Speaking about me, it was

easily able to restore lost data, so I think you will

also find it quite useful. Really recommended tool, give it a try.

http://www.[censored].com/