Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jeff123df2

install programs problem

Hello,

A friend of mine has an issue with the computer at her house.

She is running windows xp professional and its the only computer at her house.

She wanted to be able to change the system time, and install/remove any program on her system.

I put a password of my own for her administrator acount so that i can access her computer as administrator to help her whenever she encounters problems with her computer.

I created the user "Leslie" and made Leslie a member of the administrators group so that Leslie can install/remove programs as she requested.

Sometimes the other people that live with her use her computer. Someone keeps changing the passwords for administrator and Leslie. We cant figure out who is doing it, and i want to prevent this from happening ever again.

I tried removing her from the administrators group making her a power user instead. Then i set the ntfs permissions to allow power users 'modify' access to the entire hard drive. This doesnt solve the problem because she couldnt install programs anymore.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Make her the an admin. Give her a password that she doesn't share with anyone.

make a second account for the rest in her house, make it a limited account.

good ideas! thanks thats what ill do. laugh

one more thing i forgot to ask..

is it possible to configure windows xp so that power users can install programs?

Power users can install programs, but some require admin account to install and run..

No way around that