Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zen69x

Windows Server 2003 + Epson Perfection 1640SU = NO YUO

Anyone get this to work? I can get it working using the Windows scanning wizard, but GOD that sucks.

BTW it is connected via the SCSI interface, not that it should make a difference. I have a multiboot setup and it works fine in 2000, 2000 Server, and XP.

I can't get it to recognize it as a TWAIN source no matter what I do. This same scanner worked just fine under Windows XP.

I have tried both the 5.53 and 5.71 versions of TWAIN available from Epson.

Anyone have some ideas? suggestions?

Yes, I have the WIA service started. That is how I can use the "wizard". Unfortunately, the wizard interface leave something to be desired. I am still unable to use the TWAIN interface though.

I had a similar problem with my Canon "Canoscan 3000F" scanner in Windows 2003 Server -- I was on the verge of changing OS's when I thought of trying this (it works now):

- The WIA driver works fine. The scanner can complete the device test OK, and I even hear the scanner head moving, so I *know* it's not a USB/hardware/communication/driver/etc. problem.

- When I try to scan from any app that has TWAIN support I get a 'no devices installed' type error.

- My scanner has buttons. The buttons show up as mappable to application launches in the WIA control (in Scanners and Cameras folder).

- To edit the list of apps (and add any arbitrary one you like), use regedit and add them in

<HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\StillImage\Registered Applications>.

- Then, map the app to the scanner button and press it.

Now, when I press the scan button on the scanner, it launches my app with the TWAIN driver loaded and fully accessible -- the actual one that came with my scanner, not just the crappy WIA one. Apparently, you don't even need to have an app that supports command line scanner switches (as the ones that show up in that list normally do); windows will sense the button-press and somehow magically make the TWAIN driver accessible.

Hope this solves your problem too,

~Felix.