Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mad_Turnip

crash + crash + crash = POed

I start win2k. It crashes for no reason at all. Doesnt matter what im doin, crash. Why the hell is it doing this!?!?

Please help me... There seems to be about a 10 minute span before it crashes every time...

You might like to give a teensy bit more info with your question.

Maybe the version of W2K you're running, what hardware and driver versions, and perhaps even the actual error you get.

Just a thought...

Makes a lot of sense. Sorry about that.

My system:

AMD K6-2 300Mhz

Shuttle Spacewalker HOT591-P MB

64Meg PC-100 RAM

ATI Xpert 128 16Meg AGP Rage128 GL Chipset

SB Live!Value w/ Digital Out

Maxtor UDMA/ATA66 13.6Gig HD

HP CD-Writer Plus 7200i

SMC Ethernet Adapter

Think that should be all.

About the error, it's just a complete system freeze. I gotta press the reset button to reboot, Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work. Happens about every ten minutes. That's all folks. God help me...

Hm. You don't mention drivers, or any overclocking you may have done, but the first thing I'd try is removal of the SB and net card. Also put the HD onto the regular IDE channel...

That actually sounds like it could be hardware.

We had the same problem on a machine here and replaced the chip, motherboard, and memory. The actual problem (after I performed further diagnosis) was faulty L1 cache on the CPU. Although, on average, the motherboard is more prone to problems.

This problem wasn't noticable in 9x, which I assume might have something to do with how the 2K kernel may use the 32bit registers.

Another potential problem is the power supply. If your voltage isn't constant you might want to try a power source that does line conditioning (UPS etc).

Hopefully we are talking about a configuration issue, but hardware problems aren't *that* rare, and unfortunately they are a much greater pain to fix wink

Woohoo.. "Senior Member." Now all I need to do is post another 80 replies until I am "The Man." =)

Check to see if your fan has fallen off your processor!!

Stupid, I know, but it could happen.

It happened once to one of the machines at work, would work fine for around 10 minutes and then hang, tried everything then until I opened the box and found the fan on the floor.

Worth a try ...

I have heard that a lot of the versions that were released by warez groups are **** too. It sounds like some crappy group tried making a name for themselves by scoring a release of Win2K but it might be corrupt.

Had the same problems with a shuttle MB and k62 system i tried to get it going on.Might be the MB.

Im gonna try another release of it. And no, my fan did not fall off my CPU considering I have no case on it at the moment. =p

the g400 crashes too after 10 minutes, but that's only when playing certain d3d games.

bus mastering I've heard will fix this.

do the ati xpert use busmastering or agp 2x try to lower that stuff. Usually it's a good thing to remove all hardware not needed for boot and see if the os still crashes. then put it back one by one.