Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bytemangler

Win2003 server

Hello all,

Got a little problem. I download a trial win2003 server from MS. After installation the system reboot to a black screen, and keyboard does not work. I tried reinstalling serveral times and on 2 seperate computers and it's the same thing. It will let me log on in safe mode with/without networking option. Any help is welcome as I am at a lost here.

thanks

Hmmm, list the specs of both computers. Specifically mobo and video card.

I'm guessing that it's some type of AGP driver issue. Perhaps you need to install the latest VIA AGP GART?

The link to dl CRC.EXE is dead.

ok now here's my test machine.

computer1: NEC multimedia machine (kinda like laptop/desktop hybrid)

p3-450,16 gig HD, 128, Savage 3D integrated video,pc card slots

computer 2: supermicro dual p2-450 (2 cpu), 256 RAM, GeForce256 video,scsi card/hd.

I didn't have any problem putting in 2000 server so I figure it's not that picky for 2003 server.

two computers that differ as much as yours do, and the system dies at the same place on both... looks like a bad download to me. I'd re download the 2003 server software.

Jim

Ok I finally got the darn thing working on the NEC test machine. I replace the win2000 savage4 video driver over what MS supply during install and it work (even tho it tells me it's not digitally sign..). Well, thanks for all who respond, time to play....

Heh, Guess those comp specs weren't in MS testing. Not suprising since MS seems to be testing less and less these days for hardware compatibility. Heck eventually they'll probably push out MS qualified computers which specific MS approved parts. $10,000 home computers here we come..... (Yeah, I'm exageratting)

Another way to look at this is that most of the described hardware listed above is out of warranty .... why test server software on hardware that is no longer supported by the manufacturers.

Granted its use was for test machines, but MS is into the creation of software for production equipment, not test environments.

My 2 cents ....

Quote:
Heh, Guess those comp specs weren't in MS testing. Not suprising since MS seems to be testing less and less these days for hardware compatibility. Heck eventually they'll probably push out MS qualified computers which specific MS approved parts. $10,000 home computers here we come..... (Yeah, I'm exageratting)

Not really if your a MAC user...lol wink

Need to select VGA mode at boot options, change the display settings to a working setting for your monitor 800x600@75hz instead of 1024x768 default, etc. Reboot as normal, monitor will work. I guess that issue slipped by with the old 15" crap CRT monitors I have sitting around, all those techies at M$ with their luxorious LCD's :P