Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
valo

convert nt4 global group to local group

hi!

is it possible to convert a nt4 global group to a local group without deleting the global group and adding a new local group?

we have 2 domains in our organization that trust each other. now someone from domain 1 needs to access files on the fileserver in domain 2 where this guy worked before moving to the other building. most of the groups are "global groups" and it's not possible to add someone to a global group having no account in that domain but it is possible to do that with local groups.

adding a new local group in domain 2 and adding this group to the filesystem acl's would be the last thing i wan't to do because its really much work to do frown

valo

You can add users from any domain into your global group. As long as you have a trust setup. On the dropdown tab click to choose the domain to add the user from. Then add this global group anto a local group that has the rights you need.

thanks duhmez, but it's not possible for me to add a user from any domain to a global group, but it is possible to add a user from any domain to a local group. the problem now is, the filesystem permissions are set up with global groups and it's not possible to add a group to a global group.

i think i have to make a new group and add this group to the filesystem permissions... thats much much work to do... :-/

I see your problem. The mistake was assiging permisisons to a global roup. the official Microsoft method is to assign permissions to local groups. As for ading users to global groups, that should not be a problem. Ensure you really do have the two way trust that you say you do. The do,main with the resources needs to be trusting, but if you go two way it should work..........