Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NEO^

Slow LAN on 3C905B NIC

Having problems with extremly slow LAN connection on my 3com 3C905B-TX. I have heard other ppl have had the same problems. is there any1 with a solution. Is this a specific problem for this card or is there problems with other cards to? I am using the drivers that Win2k installs for my card since no other driver works (not 3coms NT drivers anywayz...).

Help is VERRY wanted. Plz mail me with suggestions or solutions. Could I have missed to configure something...?

Disable TCP/IP Netbios helper under services, and remove any unneeded protocols that you may have installed. eg IPX etc etc

[This message has been edited by Ekstreme (edited 10 January 2000).]

You already know I tried it without any performance increasment. But I thought it could be idea to say it so other ppl also see that the problem is still here and waiting for a solution. =)

Thnx for the tip though. =)

So ppl... HELP ME OUT! =)

The problem is solved temporarly. I took a 3C595 NIC from one of our old servers and plugged it in. That card has WIN2K drivers on 3coms site. So i will use it until we get some real drivers for 3C905b.

I don't know if you're going to like this but... I'm a Microsoft OEM System Builder and at the Windows 2000 preview seminar for OEMs, MS announced that all drivers for 3Com cards for Windows 2000 would have to come from 3Com. When I asked for clarification on this, MS said that basically you should forget about using the 3C905 adapters and find "something better." This announcement generated quite a groan from the crowd, but I think it's not totally unexpected. If you've worked a great deal with network, 3Com and SMC seem to have adapters that behave funny at times. And getting drivers to load for them can sometimes be a nightmare. I've since started replacing my 3Com NICs with Intel NICs - and MS Win2K has built in drivers (surprise...)

Hope this helps...

------------------

J. Byron Todd

Computer Consultant

byron@toddcomp.com

Todd Computer Solutions