Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cyberguru

SCSI Termination

I have an AHA-2940UW SCSI card in my PC with no devices attached. I want to buy a smallish SCSI HD off eBay. I found one but it said it doesnt have any sort of termination on the drive, but seeing as this is the only device on the chain and it will be at the end of the cable (only two connectors on the whole cable, one host and one drive) do I need to terminate it? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I know its not axectly an XP problem but this is the OS I will use the drive on.

Thanks

--Mark

Well you got a PCI card that provides connections for up to 15 wide UltraSCSI devices and transfers data at up to 40 MBytes/sec. I believe it supports SE and HVD devices. Wide means it supports the 68 pin standard.

So the hard drive you are looking for is part of the SCSI 3 generation or older and the termination on that would be 110 active ohms. The cable you describe would provide the necessary termination.

Probably a little too much information, but as long as you purchase the correct drive, you should be alright smile

HTH

Well you got a PCI card that provides connections for up to 15 wide UltraSCSI devices and transfers data at up to 40 MBytes/sec. I believe it supports SE and HVD devices. Wide means it supports the 68 pin standard.

So the hard drive you are looking for is part of the SCSI 3 generation or older and the termination on that would be 110 active ohms. The cable you describe would provide the necessary termination.

Probably a little too much information, but as long as you purchase the correct drive, you should be alright smile

HTH

I think I got it. I wouldnt have even worried about it but I read some confusing info on the Seagate website:

LW and LC drives do not have internal terminators or any other way of adding internal terminators to the drive; use external active termination if required. Use active (ANSI SCSI-2 Alternative 2) terminators when terminating the bus. Use active negation terminators when terminating a SCSI Ultra2 bus operating in Low Voltage Differential (LVD) mode.

The drive is a ST-39140W Ultra SCSI Wide (Medalist Pro 9140W SCSI) if that helps.

Thanks.

Well cal me stupid but reading the second one helped! Kinda like having to re-read the first one!

Anyway thanks for the help.

--Mark.

Not all scsi cables have a terminator on the end, you'll need to check this. Looks something like a bank of resistors on the end of the cable. It won't work if the end of the looks like nothing more than the usual connector.

Hope this makes some sense. smile