Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rbduck

Password and Shutdown Window has changed

I'm using XP Pro. When I initially installed it, I set it to log into Windows without a password screen. A couple of weeks ago when I had to reboot, it started up ans displayed a password screen that more resembles Windows NT. I just hit OK without a password and it botts up as usual.

Also, when I click Start and then Shutdown...the resulting dialog box also looks like an NT box. Does anyone know how to reset it back to what looked more like XP screens ?

Quote:
I'm using XP Pro. When I initially installed it, I set it to log into Windows without a password screen. A couple of weeks ago when I had to reboot, it started up ans displayed a password screen that more resembles Windows NT. I just hit OK without a password and it botts up as usual.
Also, when I click Start and then Shutdown...the resulting dialog box also looks like an NT box. Does anyone know how to reset it back to what looked more like XP screens ?

I'm guessing you installed a .net update from the windows update site and when you rebooted because of that you started seeing this. I'm sure there is a simple registry setting to change that will fix it but I don't know what it is. How I fixed it on my computer though is like this. Download Tweak UI from Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp and install it. It makes an entry in your start menu under all programs, which is different from the older versions that put themselves in the control panel. Anyhoo... open tweak ui and on the left side of the screen click on "logon" and on the right side of the screen take the check out of "show aspnet on welcome screen"

Jim

Well dang Ezron, I have tweakui, but none of the selections has the item you named in the note.. I'm continuing to look though. If I'm not mistaken, I do think it changed when I loaded the .net update.

It's in there. Just click on Logon on the left, don't click on the plus next to it. It'll be in the same screen as your logon name. smile

Jim

The only thing under logon AUTOLOGON and there is a place for USERNAME and PASSWORD. I expanded LOGON and it's not there. I know that sounds crazy, but it's not there. I've looked really well. I downloaded it from the link you put here. It's version 2.00.1.0...I also uninstalled the earlier version. rebooted and reinstalled...

I keep editing this post :x .. I went through every Title and sub title...It's not there.... ;(

I'm not sure what to tell you. You're using the same tweakui I am. Just to be sure, you're clicking on the word logon and not the plus next to it. It's not in a sub-menu of logon... the autologon thing is in a submenu of logon. If you like I'll e-mail you a screenshot, I'll need your email address though.

Jim

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but that's probably from installing the .NET Framework. It adds a user, 'ASPNET', therefore prompting for the user logon UI that you're recieving.

Quote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but that's probably from installing the .NET Framework. It adds a user, 'ASPNET', therefore prompting for the user logon UI that you're recieving.

Yea, it doesn't start showing you the logon prompt until the most recent update though. Kinda weird the way it works... you don't actually see aspnet on the logon screen, only your own logon (assuming single user machine here). Machines that had multiple users already would never see it happening, not that it's a problem per-se just a nuisance for us with single user setups.

Jim

It's got to be pretty well hidden for me not to see it..but any help is appreciated... rbduck@hotmail.com ..well the choice comes up in mezron's tweakui, but not mine....Search me for the differences... ;(

Doesn't Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change the way users log on or off -> Use the Welcome screen work?

Xiven...that was it!!!!!! Thanks... I know this was a very little thing. Why should I get crazy over a litttle thing such as a logon/logoff screen? The little things drive me cRAZZZZZY.....LOL...thanks again

:x

Hi all.

Just thought I'd add my two cents,

I too have this problem now and again, but I put it down to one of my many different log-on screens(randomized) changing something within.

If I'd seen this post earlier (been away for a while), I'd have posted the answer myself !!

All the best,

Mark.