Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Psykomanius

HELP: Can I run Win98se on that ???

I am a old games freak. :x

And love Win98se. Can i run Win98se ?

I have:

K7SEM Micro ATX mainboard with 1.66 Athlon processor.

And PCI 3D sound system (AC 97).

And 1 GB PC 133 SDRAM.

And 20 GB + 80 GB HD's.

And a GeForce 4 TI4800-SE8X. 128-bit DDR.

Is my HD too big ? Or my ram.

Quote:
I am a old games freak. :x

And love Win98se. Can i run Win98se ?

I have:

K7SEM Micro ATX mainboard with 1.66 Athlon processor.
And PCI 3D sound system (AC 97).
And 1 GB PC 133 SDRAM.
And 20 GB + 80 GB HD's.
And a GeForce 4 TI4800-SE8X. 128-bit DDR.

Is my HD too big ? Or my ram.

It should all work.

Win 98 doesn't work with more than 512MB of RAM, i't wont boot. frown

Greets,

Hernán.

I have use Win98se before on 1.2 Athlon processor, with 512 Mb ram.

And a 80 GB HD.

Then i have a big HD slowdown when i go from dir to dir.

It's up to 5-10 Sec to go from dir to dir ??? x)

The slowdown is bigger and bigger, more games i install.

Sorry my Eng. ;(

I'm from Denmark.

2 options. Remove ram down to 512 MB or less, or you need to tweak your vcache, otherwise it will crahs and say you're out ofmemory.

goto gogle search and type

512 vcache out of memory

youll find all the info yu need how to do it.

the program cachemen can also do it for you graphically.

There's a fix or a registry hack to tell windows98 not to use the ram above 512MB. You can setup a multiboot system win98 & win xp or 2000. There's no need to remove ram fisically wink

But if your machine is fast enough, y bother using Win98SE (a 5 yr old OS)? Lots of old games (with latest patches) will work on windowsxp...

Thanks for the gogle search tip. I will use this. 8)

Is ther a link for the registry hack ? ;(

I mis to play the real old dos games.

And Win98se is the nr. 1 for me!

And i love all the old game.

After i got the 1.2 processor, and bigger HD, i only have problems with Win98.

I am, and will allways be an OldSchool Gamer laugh

Quote:
Thanks for the gogle search tip. I will use this. 8)

Is ther a link for the registry hack ? ;(

I mis to play the real old dos games.
And Win98se is the nr. 1 for me!
And i love all the old game.

After i got the 1.2 processor, and bigger HD, i only have problems with Win98.

I am, and will allways be an OldSchool Gamer laugh

By the way, he meant Google, not "gogle."

I have always liked Win98SE also, and I love the old games including DOS games too (though I haven't played any DOS games for a while). There's no doubt that Win98SE is the best thing for those, especially DOS games. Although most games for Win95 or 98 will play just fine on Win2000 or XP, some simply will refuse to do so. And of course your Athlon XP and other components are way overkill for most of the older games.

I keep one machine with a Celeron 900 and a Voodoo3 card, running Win98SE, just for playing the older games. If you have enough room to set up a separate box you might consider doing that too. You can get a KVM switch (keyboard-video-mouse) so that you can easily switch from one computer to the other while still using the same monitor, keyboard and mouse. I don't know what prices are like in Denmark, but here in the U.S. component prices are now so cheap that building a second computer suitable for WinSE and older games (slower CPU, smaller HD, less memory etc.) wouldn't cost very much. Some of those older components can be bought used or at closeout at very low prices. The only thing is that it does take up more space and makes more of a mess with cables, etc.

Just a quick note for a 98SE user

In my experience with 98, I would recommend installing the Via 4 in 1 drivers ..... After Windows 2000 SP2 and XP, I have ceased to use the 4 in 1 though.

HTH smile

I will look for an KVM switch.

And get an old machine.

Thanks Niall. (KVM switch) 8)

I will look for that.

Just one thing about the KVM switch--I should have worded it differently, because the way I put it, it reads like you can switch back and forth between the two computers while both are running. I'm not sure but I don't think you can safely do that. The safe thing of course would be to do the switching while both machines are turned OFF, then turn on the one you want to use.

I recently bought a KVM switch myself but haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

Good luck, and keep enjoying those old games! I do too. Fortunately most of those I like will still run under Win2000 and XP according to the compatiblity lists here, but some will not.

I have another machine that's dual-boot, Win98SE in a 15GB first partition and Win2000 in the larger partition. That works well too, but of course it wouldn't help you with your large memory problem. Anyway I still like having a separate Win98SE computer because it lets me use my Voodoo3 card for those great old games that run best with the Glide API.

If you buy a digital KVM switch, you can safely switch between machines whilst they are both running as the switch maintains the current between all ports and devices.