Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cyberguru

Adding 3rd Party drivers to XP Install CD

Hi there, Im not exactly sure that this is the right section to put this in, but it was the one that seemed to fit my pronlem the most.

On my mothewrboard I have a Promise RAID controller (20276) that has a 120GB hard drive connected to it and a DVDROM.

When I come to install windows XP it asks me if I would like to install 3rd party drivers and I press F6, if I dont the setup blue-screens after a few seconds, but it demands these files be on a floppy, and I dont have a floppy drive in my PC.

I have read little bits about being able to put these files on the XP cd so it will load them without asking, which I thought would come under the unattended install bit. But I cant find any useable information.

Could someone tell me if this is possible and how I might go about it.

Thanks

--Mark

An alternative (although maybe not the one you're looking for) is to move the harddrive onto the non-RAID IDE channel (one of the grey IDE connectors not the blue ones?), install WinXP normally without having to install the Promise drivers.

Once XP is installed, install the Promise drivers from CD or Internet, then shut down and swap the harddrive back to the RAID controller.

Hope this helps,

AndyF

The way I have been doing it so far is to go into the BIOS and disbale the Promise controller and install windows. But its a very long and boring task.

First I have to disconnect all the devices and disable the controller.

Then I have to install windows XP.

Then enable the controller and boot into windows and install the drivers.

Turn the PC off and then connect the drives.

Any other method results in a blue screen.

BTW I dont have my windows HD conected to the controller (green connectors by the way) because as soon as the PC gets to the login screen the HD starts making a very disturbing sound, like the heads are hitting the side of the drive case and keep bouncing on the sides. If I connect the drive that doesnt have windows on to the Promise controller its fine. I kind of hoped that getting the drivers installed when I installed windows would make it better...

Thanks

--Mark

^^^^ u may want to make your sig likes others smile to make it smaller or go side by side instead of up and down.

laugh