Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mezron

Sorry &!*$# Dial up access

I'm on dial-up and usually connect at around 28.8. A lot of times when I try to download a page that has a lot of images it appears as though IE tries to download all the images at once and can't so it gives up and I end up with a bunch of broken images. I can usually reload the page a few time to get all the images if I want to, or just right click on the broken image and choose show picture. It's just a nuisance, nothing broken really other than my &%$*! phone line.

OK with that out of my system smile is there a tweak somewhere in the registry or somewhere else where I can forcefully set IE to only download up to 2 images at a time? I'm using XP Pro w/sp1.

Please don't go the "Use Mozilla or Opera" line on me. I've tried them and genuinely prefer IE.

TIA,

Jim

Aren't there any other alternatives to your ISP?

And Secondly you can keep Ie from loading any images then click on them as you want to see them

Use Pheonix/Firebired or whatever the heck it's called now. Much better than IE on slower connections.

Quote:
Take a peek here, I believe this controls that loading of pics:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\
AdvancedOptions\MULTIMEDIA\PICTS

* smile

(What you want to toy with in there for YOUR problem though, I really have NO idea... I just know that has to deal with pic loads!)

APK

The only thing I saw in there that I could decipher was turning images on or off, the other stuff was a little over my skill level wink. I did find this one though and tried messing with it

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Setting\MaxConnectionsPerServer

The default setting there is 32, I dropped it all the way down to 2 and it seemed to help but man does it slow down page loading (as if it could get any slower) so I set it back to it's default. I'll keep looking around and if I find an answer I'll post it.

The problem isn't my ISP it's the phone line itself. I've tried 5-6 different ISP's here in the last 18 months with similar results. Heh, I've even connected my computer to my cell phone and used it as a modem smile As for other ways to connect, Satellite or ISDN are my only other options. Each of those are about $100 per month, unless I pay for the satellite equipment and install up front (@$700) then it drops to $60 per month. A bit out of reach for me right now, but I probably will go that route in the future.

Jim

What ever happened to the 'load images' button in browsers?

since I moved house, I too am limited to a sub-dialup speed line with no alternatives frown

What I want to do is turn images off, but still be able to load them quickly for those graphic based pages that make no sense unless you load images, without going through all those clicks!

Quote:
What ever happened to the 'load images' button in browsers?
since I moved house, I too am limited to a sub-dialup speed line with no alternatives frown
What I want to do is turn images off, but still be able to load them quickly for those graphic based pages that make no sense unless you load images, without going through all those clicks!

I don't see anywhere to put in a load images button frown I remember that on the older browsers too, didn't notice it was gone til now. The only thing I see is in the advanced area of Internet properties you can turn off images altogether. Then right click on the image you want to see and choose show picture. Kind of kludgy...

Jim

It used to be part of the IE4 PowerToys.

Now, for IE5, you can download the Web Accessories from Microsoft. I couldn't find anything for IE6, but the WA kit might still work...

Quote:
It used to be part of the IE4 PowerToys.

Now, for IE5, you can download the Web Accessories from Microsoft. I couldn't find anything for IE6, but the WA kit might still work...

Actually, I seem to remember back in the Netscape3 and IE3 days it was a button right on the browser toolbar. It was kinda necessary then since a lot of people paid for thier internet access by the hour. Graphics make a big difference when you're on a 14.4 or even 9600 connection. Between the time of the 28.8 and 56k modem it probably wasn't an issue since I'd say most of the websites were designed with that speed in mind. I think a lot of web designers are building thier sites with broadband users in mind now, so the turning off images is becoming a neccesity again for a lot of users. It's not unusual for me to wait 2-3 minutes for a single page to load anymore.

BTW I downloaded and installed the webaccessories from the link you provided. Doesn't seem to do much with IE6 on XP. Thanks for the link tho smile

The only thing I can suggest you is to get Opera.. It's fast and, if I recall it corectly, you can turn on/off images whenever you want..