Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kycolonel42276

Safe Mode

It can happen if not properly shuted down.

Does it happen every time or just from time to time?

Quote:
Running Windows 95, 98 or Me wink

Pretty much so. Really, though, it probably means that something in the registry is corrupt.

Try booting with a bootdisk, and running:

scanreg /fix

See if that helps. If not, upgrade to 2000/XP...

laugh

Any recently installed new drivers?

Failed RAM?

Does a parallel installation of the OS function normally?

Just some random thoughts, hopefully useful.

Are you using FAT, FAT16, or FAT32. If you are running anything but FAT32, using the Convert utility to move to FAT32, as it is stable by comparison.

I would also recommend running a scandisk (without the autofix option selected), if there is mention of any files that are lost, etc, delete them and skip the undo option.

Then follow up with a defrag, and definitely that scanreg /fix suggestion. If the scanreg doesn't do it, I would invest in a free registry scanner, I've seen some good ones.

Go into safe mode and check for any devices that are listed as unknown or other (the scanreg might take care of that). If so, identify them and install them. Also update your other drivers if nothing else seems to work.

Also, are you running a current antivirus? If so, is it up to date and are you scanning regularly? There are some interesting viruses that can lend to this problem.

Hopefully some of this will prove useful, and I have seen all of them contribute to what you are seeing, albeit working on many different machines.