Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
videobruce

Can't convert D drive to NTFS

Running 2k I sucessfully converted C drive from FAT32 to NTFS.

When I tried to do the same with D (the 2nd partition) it went through the motions and dived off of the process back to the destop. I couldn't see any errors since the process went faster than I thought. I tried it a 2nd time and the same thing.

Any ideas?

I used the "convert d:/fs:ntfs" at the command prompt.

Are you running the command from the command line or from the start button?

Also....mun a chkdsk on the C: and see if your using 512 byte clusters. You probably are....

Start>run>cmd

convert d: /fs:ntfs

then it will work, or if not you will at least be able to read the error message.

Perhaps the error is "the drive is already NTFS" or something............

I tried it twice from a command prompt and checked it on the next boot. Same thing it is still FAT32. The process went as C did but it was much shorter. There were no error messages either before it rebooted or after.

Shouldn't have to clear off D drive especially since it worked with a active drive!

Well I tried it again and it worked!

I did it the same way as the other 2 times, got the same messages within the command prompt and received the same text durning the process.

There are 700k of bad sectors on that partition, could it be the process hiccuped at one of them and just canceled the operation without any notice?

Too, use a low level format that as written for your disk from tyhe same company. using another companies low level formatting app will not flag the bad sectors as unusable, it will just plain write zeros.

Quote:
Quote:
clear off your D drive and format is fresh into NTFS?

Heh, that's DEFINITELY a way for certain... I had to do that recently on my 2nd drive in fact: backup ALL of its data onto my first disk & just plain-jane redo it!

smile or frown (mixed emotions on that experience!)

* This assumes however this fellow can backup his entire disk though... that can be a "catch-22" @ times depending on how much he has on it etc.

frown

APK

i was SO happy when i learned about paritioning and got my second HD way back when!, back up everything so easily, no more sitting for hours with a 4x cd burner burning gig's after gig's after gig's of backups just so i could format! (often over 20g)