Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jonokimber

why do my apps take so long to start?

I just got myself a new pc, well, built it myself. Its fast enough when things are open etc, but it takes longer for this one to open apps than my last pc!

For example, if i click explorer, in the quick start bar, it can often take 5,6 or 7 secs to open up an explorer!

the strange thing is that if i click it 4 times, i still get the pause, but then all 4 open in quick succession.

I have 512mb ram, a decent spec etc, help!!!

oh, win xp pro, sp1 etc, all updates etc etc

If you do have all the updates for WinXP SP1, you probably have the Q811493 patch installed. If you run Antivirus software (I would hope you do) this patch causes your Uber-fast computer to run like a 486. Microsoft has identified a performance problem when installing this patch and will be releasing an updated version some time soon. The patch can be removed without problems by going to Add/Remove Program and uninstalling "Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q811493". You can check out the full MS Bulletin here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-013.asp

well, well, well. (three holes in the ground!) That did the trick! I use Sophos anti virus (extra free license from work) and Sygate Personal firewall for my security. No trouble with unwanted attacks so to speak but being undermined like this from the inside was very frustrating!

Thankyou so much for revitalising my lust for my new pc! The apps appear almost instantly again, nice one!

Jon laugh

No problem, happy I could help. I really wish MS would warn you before installing the patch from windowsupdate (at least until they get it fixed). Everyone I know who runs XP has been screwed by it.

This brings up another point, assuming MS tests their patches at least internally, how did such a big whoops make it past Q/A. Either everyone at MS runs a dual 10 GHz machine (not likely) or they don't run Antivirus (scary!). Or more likely they were just testing to see if the patch plugged the hole and didn't concern themselves with performance.