Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tomay

Program to log Online time and connection.

Basicaly I have problem with my ISP. I have a 256Kb cable modem connection with a Thomson cable modem connected via ehternet.

Sometimes I just get no connection to the internet. It connects well at startup, but while I'm working I get disconected. If I try to ping my isp I get "Request timed out."

I also tried replacing my ethernet card but still the same.

I'm looking for a program that will ping a certain ip every minute or so and log time and connection (if there was response or not).

I need this to tell my ISP when there was a connection and when not. Than they'll check if the problem is on there or on my side.

Does anyone know of such program or something similar?

THNX

Does your cable modem have any biult in diagnostics? If I enter the local IP address of my cable modem, I can see exactly what it's doing.

It logs all the activities that it carries out, including its success (or otherwise) in communicating with my ISPs network.

If you don't have much documentation for the modem, try heading to the manufacturers website and seeing if they have any online manuals or trouble shooting tips.

Being able to tell your ISP exactly what the modem is upto should make the job much easier.

Quote:
Does your cable modem have any biult in diagnostics? If I enter the local IP address of my cable modem, I can see exactly what it's doing.

Where do you enter your local ip?

In a web browser.

I can't remember exactly what the IP address is (I'm at work, and the modem is at home), but chucking it into IE shows me all the diags and config of the modem.

Tried my ip, but guess my modem was to cheap to have something like that laugh.

The DUmeter program doesn't help either.

I know I could run ping in background, but it pings to often and it doesn't record time.

It's not your IP address, that will simply tell the browser to try and find a web server running on your machine.

It's the internal address of the cable modem. For mine, it's 192.168.100.1 That's with a Motorola Sufboard 3100, so yours might be different.

If you tell me the make and model of your modem, I'll have a search around for you and see if I can dig anything up.

Perhaps NeoTrace would periodically ping a known-good site. It's been a while since I've used it, and I don't think it's still being supported/developed, but it may be worth a look. IIRC, there's a 30 day free trial version around.

Quote:
I'm looking for a program that will ping a certain ip every minute or so and log time and connection (if there was response or not).

I am surprised no one has mentioned IPsentry ... i use it to monitor everything from network nodes to services on my win2k servers .... a true piece of magic smile

http://www.ipsentry.com/

Quote:
It's the internal address of the cable modem. For mine, it's 192.168.100.1 That's with a Motorola Sufboard 3100, so yours might be different.

It's the same. Took me a while laugh. But it's not the info I need.

I'm gonna try ipsentry.

I only got the spanish version. Is it available in english?

i´m portuguese so i´ve dnlded the PT version , but

i´m not sure there is other langs support .

i only shared this because i´m realy appy with that app

and there´s even a linux version.

i´m sorry if there´s no UK version ; but you can always

follow the above opinions or even ask your isp

for something that meet your needs