Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sakirik

running antivirus program under DOS level

Hey guys....no offense on the women part... smile

How do i run, for example: Norton Antivirus 2000 under DOS level for a Windows 2000 Server? Is it possible? I may have been infected so deeply that i am trying to run the antivirus under DOS. Appreciate all the help i can get

thank you very much

Will it even be possible? Most of the 'consumer' level products from Symantec won't run on a Server OS.

You need the Corp edition of their AV software to run it properly.

If the partition is FAT32, you can simply boot off of the Norton 2001/2002 CD, although the virus defs will only be as current as the CD...

If the parition is fat32 you can use Navdx (nav dos) from any norton. Download inteligent updater for the product, dos veriasonl then you can extract the updated definitions. then boot to win98 boot disk.

you can also do this on ntfs is you use NTFSDOSPRO from www.sysinternals.com . They have a read only free triasl, should let you at least scan it and find if its infected, although it wont be able to repair unless you buy the full versiion.

the other way (which is preferred) Stick the drive in another nt/2000/XP machine that has AV software running, and merely scan the disk. thats what i do with NTFS drives.

If this server is a production box, I would format and restore from a good backup

Just my $0.02 smile