Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
videobruce

Switching over to NTFS from FAT32 running 2k

I just got a 80GB drive and I think it would be best to finally go with NTFS, but all my other drives are FAT32 ( 3 more on 2 separate boxes both running 2k).

No other changes other than removing a 20GB and replacing it with a 80GB. Both drives now are bootable and have 2 partitions each. I'm not sure how I would partition the 80GB yet since that is 2 1/2 times larger than anything I have had before.

My questions are:

1. Just how to do this considering that the old drive is FAT32 and I want to image that to the new active partition. I can't just take that image and copy it the the NTFS drive could I?

2. Since the backup programs are FAT32 would it be best to burn these to a CD and then transfer back to the 2nd partition?

3. There would be a problem with the other drive being FAT32 as far as transfering between the 2 drives or reading from each other, correct?

4. My 2nd box is FAT32 also, would that be the same problem transfering between the 2 boxes?

You could try with a program like partition magic ...

You can copy a partition and then convert it to ntfs.

You can convert any partition to NTFS without losing data by opening a command line and typing:

convert <driveletter> /fs:ntfs

--Vermyndax

Quote:
You can convert any partition to NTFS without losing data by opening a command line and typing:

convert <driveletter> /fs:ntfs

--Vermyndax

Yes. This is the way to go.

Just adding on

Quote:
1. Just how to do this considering that the old drive is FAT32 and I want to image that to the new active partition. I can't just take that image and copy it the the NTFS drive could I?

convert would be the "dos" command

Quote:
Since the backup programs are FAT32 would it be best to burn these to a CD and then transfer back to the 2nd partition?

No Need

Quote:
There would be a problem with the other drive being FAT32 as far as transfering between the 2 drives or reading from each other, correct?

Copying data from the NTFS to the FAT32 drive would lose all inherent permissions, copying data from the FAT32 drive to the NTFS drive would inherit all permissions.

Quote:
4. My 2nd box is FAT32 also, would that be the same problem transfering between the 2 boxes?

The rules above apply to this as well.

The new drive is just that, new. Nothing to convert.

If I partitioned and formatted the virgin drive to NTFS, could I take that FAT32 version (for lack of a better term) image and just restore it to the new drive without the command line stuff that I don't like to do in the frist palce?

Quote:
If I partitioned and formatted the virgin drive to NTFS, could I take that FAT32 version (for lack of a better term) image and just restore it to the new drive without the command line stuff that I don't like to do in the frist palce?

Yes smile

What backup program you using, outta curiosity?

If you use ghost or ismilar to do the drive image, it will then be fat32, since the source is. If all you do is move data using epxlorer, then it wil rmain ntfs if you install onto ntfs.

If you image the drive then use the convert command

convert c: /fs:ntfs