Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DS3Circuit

Problem loading secpol.msc & gpedit.msc, need help/fix..

Quote:
P.S.=> Isn't there an Administrator's Toolkit full of .msc things called ADMINPAK.MSI that you can download & install that can allegedly repair bogus or broken .msc shortcuts for the MMC console?

http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/7/5/c750f1af-8940-44b6-b9eb-d74014e552cd/adminpak.exe

Out of curiosity, have you been playing with ACLs and locked yourself of running these tools?

Besides the corrupted files APK, the running of these 2 snap-ins is also your goal, correct? Sorry, just a lot to absorb while on the clock ya know smile

Also, the admin pak can be found in the respective service pack of the OS. You can get the latest one in the most current service pack just by extracting it using WinZip/WinRAR, or using the extraction command switch with the SP.

Quote:
ANYONE SEND ME THOSE FILES via email by any chance

Check your email

Another thing, is the C:\%systemroot%\Installer folder have FULL SYSTEM Permissions ..... I once locked myself out of my own tools by removing that.

Edit

Ok I just got an NDR .... which account would you like them emailed to if so needed.

Check the email ... also the email I was trying before is the one from pixelstation in your profile ....

Quote:
Disable your Workstation &/or Server service temporarily & try to run secpol.msc, gpedit.msc, or rsop.msc...

Done, and the MSC files in question still work....

For those follwing the thread

I asked APK if he tried doing a System Restore or re-installing SP1 ... I imagine there is nothing in the logs as well ....

Again for those of you following in this thread, or for a great resource @ APKs expense ....

Quote:
As long as you have had the service running (I know you like to tweak them)and the disk space, I believe System Restore will cover MSC files and there associated GUIDS .... As it covers, drivers, software configurations and installations, registry changes and the such.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treevie...in/XPSysRst.asp

Taking a step backwards, those files you wish to delete aren't using reserved names, correct? Otherwise you might need POSIX to remove them.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;120716

Have you tried registering / running these MSCs in Safe Mode? What about using MSCONFIG to EXPAND the necessary files off of your Windows XP CD ... SFC should not complain then. Running SFC /SCANNOW

Just throwing out more options.

Anyone else got some ideas .... I am beginning to hit the bottom of the barrel.

I hate to ask ..... but how did you make out APK? smile

Anything else I can assist you in?

And in regards to your RAID issue .... I must concur if you are using a Highpoint ATA RAID controller ... ever since there HPT366 (ATA 66 Controller) that was included with the ABIT BP6, I have stayed CLEAR away from that company ...... POS.

to add to your explanation of your fix for all us noobs i found on a website.oh and by the way i had exact same problem but,mine was caused by a r.a.t. remote access trojan that installed a trojan server at which time the trojan disabled alot of stuff in windows to hide itself and to keep itself from being detected and disabled..i compliment you on your post here as it was very helpfull..i hope i could add to the info for all the noobs out there.ive see alot of requests for this problem, but no solutions till now...thanks...shkdeltawing@hotmail.com

To fix the problem:

Replace the Framedyn.dll File -- how to get the file back.

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type %systemroot%\system32\dllcache, and then click OK.

Right-click framedyn.dll, and then click Copy on the shortcut menu that appears.

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type %systemroot%\system32\wbem, and then click OK.

On the Edit menu, click Paste. If you are prompted to replace the existing file, click Yes.

Verify System Variables

1. Open a CMD prompt (go to START menu, RUN) and type (you can copy and paste this):

copy %systemroot%\system32\dllcache\Framedyn.dll %systemroot%\system32\wbem\Framedyn.dll /y

2. Right-click My Computer and press Properties. If you DO NOT receive the error, exit this procedure, you're done. Otherwise:

NOTE! If you do not know what the registry editor is, or how to edit your registry - STOP! You can do serious damage to your operating system, like make it stop working, or be unable to boot up. If you are competent at editing your registry, then I recommend the standard advice -- Make a valid backup of your registry before making any changes to it!

3. Use the Registry Editor to navigate to:

(To use the Windows registry editor - Go to Start, then Run, then enter "regedit" in the textbox, then click OK)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment.

4. If the Path Value Name is missing, press Edit / New / Expandable String Value. Right-click New Value #1 and Rename it to Path.

5. Double-click the Path value Name.

6. A standard path begins with:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\wbem

7. Exit the Registry Editor and restart your computer.

NOTE: If additional variables exist in the Path Value Name, insert a semi-colon (;) after the

%SystemRoot%\System32\wbem string.