Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

I need good FTP Server Software

I'm looking for a decent FTP server peice of software. The intended platforms are: Linux AND Windows 2000/XP.

Can someone suggets one? Preferrably Freeware, or GPL

I have to recommend that you don't take shassouneh's advice. Java is extremely CPU intensive. This is bad for home users and profesional hosts alike. A high traffic hosting site won't be able to support as many users, due to the CPU overhead. Whereas a low traffic home user will be annoyed when their FTP site is acessed and everything slows down in the process. Not only that if you're running a Java app that means that the JVM (Java Virtual Machine) has to be running all the time which will also slow down your system regardless of whether or not someone is actively acessing your site. War FTP is good for windows and GNU, but I just looked and it's not multiplatform. Why don't you compare these two lists and take the highest rated multi-platform solution:

http://www.tucows.com/ftpserver95_rating.html

http://adnc.linux.tucows.com/ftp_default.html (note I couldn't find the server category in their Unix listing so be careful this may just be FTP clients and not servers). I would just look at the two top rated freeware solutions for Win32 and see if one of those isn't multi-platform.

Good Luck and please let us all know what you decide to use smile

-Christian

I just looked here at the FTP protocol's website and they didn't have one multiplatform FTP server listed. Maybe your best bet is to just use the best windows one and the best unix one and call it good.

However you should still check out those two top ranked Win32 FTP freeware apps and see if one of those isn't multi-platform.

Cheers,

Christian

Java = OVER MY DEAD BODY.

I can't stand ANYTHING that has to do with that crappy language, LOL.

I am a Computer Science student and they cram us with all this java s***.

I know Java is slow, CPU intensive, nd sloppy. Don't get me started.

I'm a C/C++ fan myself.

The stongst argument FOR Java is cross platform, and that IS true, but You can still use the QT library and compile for multiple platforms.

java = eww.

NO JAVA WAR! loool

I am still open to suggestions on freeware FTP servers.

thanx for the replies every one smile

I have used FileZilla Server with good results. It's a pretty basic FTP server, but it works really well - I've never had any problems with it...