Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
andywhitt

Wireless network

I have just bought:

Belkin 54g Desktop Pci Interface Card - Windows 2000

Belkin 54g Desktop CardBus Interface Card - Windows XP

I have the PCI one in my server, my server is contected to my main network. I am having trouble understanding what i am suppose to do. I thought the wireless PCI one would act as a bridge between my physical network and open up a wirelless one.

The software provided, can only look for available wireless networks, not create a new one. What i want to do is have my laptop access my physical network.

Do i have to buy the access point, or can i get them going ad hoc. There is an optino for ad hoc, but it is still look for available ones, it doesn#'t let you create em, and if you set em both off searching at the same time they find nothing.

any ideas ?

smile

Thanks

From my understanding and implementation of WLANs, you need an Access Point. Adhoc is meant to carry a signal from one station to another, not to create a signal. Infrastructure mode broadcasts out the wireless signal without using other stations to carry it along.

By stations I mean wireless enabled devices.

So basically get a SOHO AP to accomplish what you need.

HTH smile

You need a bridge.

You current router and/or switch don't understand wirerless signals.

So you have to buy a new switch or bridge.

Quote:
From my understanding and implementation of WLANs, you need an Access Point. Adhoc is meant to carry a signal from one station to another, not to create a signal. Infrastructure mode broadcasts out the wireless signal without using other stations to carry it along.

By stations I mean wireless enabled devices.

So basically get a SOHO AP to accomplish what you need.

HTH smile

Thats the way I understand it as well.

What you are thinking of can be done with Macs though .... any iBook can serve as a base station of other other iBooks. smile

Yes, get an access point and connect it to your LAN. Use the SSID from the access point in your PCI card configurations. This USUALLY works right the first time if SSID matches on all units. Sometimes communication can be really flakey, though, and may require tweaking the settings (channel, RTS threshold, etc.) Good luck!