Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gilgamesh

Liteon 16x DVD-ROM problem

I am having a problem with my Lite-on (distributed by Cendyne) DVD-ROM. Basically, the problem is that most of the time when I put a cd in the drive doesn't recognize that there is a cd in the drive. This a problem that started out where it would only do it a couple of times per week or so. But it is to the point that in the last 4 days I hasn't read a single cd I've put in. Does anyone know what this might be? Thanks for any help.

-gilgamesh

I have a similar problem with my Philips PCCD48.

Sometimes when I inserted a cd it didn't even spin up the cd. Like there is none inserted. I took it apart and cleaned it manualy. It helped for a while, but then it started again. I cleaned it again, but I don't think it was dirty. It's more like when I take it apart I move something and it works again. For now it's working (a few months) so far so good. But since it was the cheapest so I can be happy it lasted so long. smile

Try to take it apart and if you can plug in the power and insert a CD to see if it even spins up the CD.

check for a firmware update on the drive itself.

You'll have to go to the distrubutors website, I got a JHLS or whatever it's called, which is a Liteon, flashed firmware, everything is fine.

I can't seem to find the firmware upgrade for this particular drive which is a Liteon LTD163D DVD-ROM drive. Does anyone know where they can be gotten? Do you think they will take it back? I got the drive early in January of this year.

Best thing I can find after a 30 second search is: http://www.jlms.com.tw/download.htm

The file second from bottom is called D163GH5S.zip which seems a good match for your drive.

There doesn't seem to be a readme file in the ZIP, but I didn't run the exe, so I don't know if it will extract one, or if that exe is the firmware upgrade.