Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jwl812

ATI Radeon 9500 Boot-up Problems

I am helping a friend install a new ATI Radeon 9500 Pro into his rather older PC - a 750mhz AMD Athlon. This PC has an MSI K7 Pro Motherboard and 512mb ram and a 2x AGP slot and a 300watt power supply.

When the PC boots we can barely read any bios posts, and multicolored blocks are all over the screen. Once windows comes up though the screen looks fine. I am concerned about the screwed up looking boot. Sometimes when windows comes up we get an error saying "error - hal.dll needs to be reinstalled" or something like that. We have updated the bios but still the problem exists and we have reinstalled the hal.dll

Is this video card too much for this system?

Your opinions would be appreciated.

BIOS updated. Windows XP is the operating system. But this problem exists before the OS even comes into play. It really has me stumped. I am ordering a new mobo and processor. I think the video card is too much for this aging machine.

I reckon u've jumped the gun. You should try the card in another machine and determine if the card is defective.

is your power supply 300watt?

if not it proberly cant handle the card.

they take up so much power these new graphics chips..

worth trying.

The power supply was suspect number 1, yes, but it must be generic. I can't find any markings on it at all. I have removed it from the case and there is no label on it. Heck for about $18 I should replace it and try that amyway.

for $18 bucks, you are just delaying yourself by going from generic to generic. Spend the extra money and get an enermax or vantec

We returned the video card and got another one, everything is fine now. The video card was bad. It seems the Best Buy where we bought it has had a lot of the 9500s returned. We also bought a $65 400 watt power supply. All is well now, thanks for all your help and advice.