Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Prolixium

Radeon Mobility 7500 & 3D

Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone had experience with ATI's Radeon Mobility 7500 in XFree86, specifically the 3D acceleration.

Just picked up a new Fujitsu Lifebook E-7110 with one of these video chipsets, and can't seem to get the 3D working right with it. Every time I start an OpenGL app it gets killed instantly with "illegal hardware instruction." 2D (XVideo, DGA) acceleration seems to work fine.

I'm running Debian SID with the latest DRI packages from dri.sf.net, but still no luck. My glxinfo, dmesg, xfree86.log, etc files can be found http://ares.penguinhosting.net/~prox/files/fujitsu/.

Thanks smile

- Mark[/url]

I don't know, but Mandrake 9 recognized my card flawlessly. I could fire up a Q3 game right out the box with my ATi Mobility 7.

Quote:
I don't know, but Mandrake 9 recognized my card flawlessly. I could fire up a Q3 game right out the box with my ATi Mobility 7.

May I ask what kernel version and XFree86 version you are running?

Thanks

- Mark

I have a VPR MATRIX 180B5. It uses the Radeon 7500C or Mobility M7 and it ran right out of the box for me. There are couple of xscreensavers that do not work but all in all it is working great.

Quote:
I have a VPR MATRIX 180B5. It uses the Radeon 7500C or Mobility M7 and it ran right out of the box for me. There are couple of xscreensavers that do not work but all in all it is working great.

I think Mandrake has an advantage when it comes to this ..

I ended up annoying some people on Freenode enough to give me an answer. Apparently the version of MESA that's in Debian SID currently has a bug which turns on the 3DNow! instructions if your CPUID matches a Pentium 4. This obviously will sent a SIGILL, since the P4's don't have 3DNow! instructions. A simple "export MESA_NO_3DNOW=1" fixed the issue for me, and Quake3 works :P

Mandrake might not include the buggy version of the Mesa libraries, so those with P4's won't have an issue.

Thanks for the input though wink

- Mark