Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mezron

Multiple users on Win2k

I have a computer with Win2k Pro on it. It's for home use so security isn't all that important... might not even connect to the internet with it. I'm going to set up a couple user accounts, both as Administrators. What I'd like to do is when the computer boots up and gets to the logon screen I'd like to set it so that it's similar to WinXP. Either click on a picture representing the user or, even better have the user field of the logon prompt be a drop down menu with both of the users names listed and you just choose which user to log on as. Without passwords is ok for my purposes. I'd just like to not have to highlight the previous user and type in the new user name when I log on. Any suggestions?

Jim

I dont believe 2000 professional will support that style of login at all. I believe the msgina.dll would need to be entirely written as well as other portions of that OS's login process.

If I am wrong, feel free to correct me.

Sadly, I think you're probably right. I was kinda hoping someone a little more prolific in that sort of thing would have hacked it up by now for me wink

So far I haven't been able to find that person... still looking though smile

Jim

To slightly change the subject;

I wanted to setup a user account with restricted privledges that software can't be installed which I thought was the case by default.

I set it up, checked a couple of D/L'ed programs and it barked at me stating there wasn't any administrator rights (something as that). Fine.

I went to install some old store bought games and it let me do so, though most didn't install properly. Why?

Next, to rearange the start menu by adding, deleting, moving and renaming folders I have tried to use the advanced mode, but since there are 3 user start menu folders it is very confusing what to put where.

I always use to just creat the folder there and use the start menu from the destop to move or delete the shortcuts there, but you get that annoying "this will affect all users" box most of the time.

Is there a better/easier way?

Quote:
To slightly change the subject;

I wanted to setup a user account with restricted privledges that software can't be installed which I thought was the case by default.
I set it up, checked a couple of D/L'ed programs and it barked at me stating there wasn't any administrator rights (something as that). Fine.
I went to install some old store bought games and it let me do so, though most didn't install properly. Why?

Some programs just won't run if you don't have administrator priveledges. Some programs don't understand the NT security model, mostly stuff that was written for Win9x will fall into this category. Other programs I think were just written lazily, Things like Quickbooks which is supposed to work on NT will only work if you have Admin priveledges. I got one program to work by giving full access to the Windows directory once, but that totally defeats the security model as far as I'm concerned.

Another thing you can try is hold the shift key while right-clicking on the executable you're working with. You should see a Run As command... try using that. You'll need to have an Administrator's password to use it so you might be SOL there, but if you're one of those guys that like to run as a user to minimize damge from a virus, etc... and just do Admin stuff from time to time it's kinda handy.

Quote:
Next, to rearange the start menu by adding, deleting, moving and renaming folders I have tried to use the advanced mode, but since there are 3 user start menu folders it is very confusing what to put where.
I always use to just creat the folder there and use the start menu from the destop to move or delete the shortcuts there, but you get that annoying "this will affect all users" box most of the time.
Is there a better/easier way?

Open an Explorer window and go to the C:\Documents and Settings folder. In there you'll see your user directory. In your user directory is a Start Menu folder. Do your damage in there smile

Jim

Many installers try to copy files to the Windows or System/System32 directories, and both of these will be covered by NTFS permissions (if using that filesystem) and will therefore halt the installation. Also, many of these apps will try to install registry keys in the HKLM portion of the registry, rather than HKCU (Current User) which is a portion that does allow user editing (assuming that is permitted as well). Since many installer designers still do not understand (or are simply too stupid/lazy to be bothered with learning) the NT security model, this is what causes issues with applications like AutoCAD. It can be installed by an admin, and yet still not work properly for any user that isn't an admin (even "power user" level doesn't work in some cases) because of all the keys it wants to screw with and its wide scattering of files.

Now, why do some apps install for average users? Well, in some cases it is by accident where the application simply does not need to copy dll files or tons of reg keys to areas that aren't permitted under the current user credentials. However, in other cases, the application provider is doing this intentionally because they know the admin would never permit this app to be installed in the first place. Stupid utilities like "WebShots" and "Weather Bug" allow this to happen, and you have to lock down the workstations even further with policies to keep them from running the installer by name.

HTH

Very good posts guys. I noticed you mentioned Weather Bug and Web Shots, two programs that a friend runs and thinks are great.

Kinda thought they were lame and now I know!

I'm a firm believer less is better! I have about 14 processes and NO app's running at startup. If there are more than 2 or 3 icons in the system try I get pissed!

I only installed the games there because that was the screen they would be run in. This is for someone else's kids to use, had I known the supposed 'restricted user' wasn't, I probably wouldn't of bothered even setting up a additional user and just renamed the administartors screen!

Quote:
I probably wouldn't of bothered even setting up a additional user and just renamed the administartors screen!

I'd strongly recommend against doing that. I've seen on occasion (it's rare, but does happen) that the user profile gets corrupted and the only way to fix it is log into an another administrators account. From there you can just create a new account and move the data to the new one or whatever. If THE Administrator account is the only account on the system and it gets corrupted somehow you'll be locked out of the system. You're much better off just creating an account with admin priveledges to use as a personal account.

Jim

Interesting point.

As I said, I believe less is better and there are 3 folders already under Documents & Settings. I really didn't want to add another.

You know I would love to say s*w windows, just use Linux since I know it can do this. But I don't mean to be a jerk here.

If you insist on using Windows to acheive this, may I suggest you consider upgrading to XP? It seems Xp finally caught up with the idea with multiple simultanous logins by different users.

So no, I am not being sarcastic or rude. My suggestion is either consider Windows XP, or maybe switch over to the dark side (Linux), LOL smile

I think I would rather fight than switch............maybe someday I will go to XP or it's replacement, but for now I'll live with 2k.

As far as switching O/S's completely, there is so much more to learn with this one, I really don't want to start another fire if you knnow what I mean.

Quote:
You know I would love to say s*w windows, just use Linux since I know it can do this. But I don't mean to be a jerk here.
If you insist on using Windows to acheive this, may I suggest you consider upgrading to XP? It seems Xp finally caught up with the idea with multiple simultanous logins by different users.

So no, I am not being sarcastic or rude. My suggestion is either consider Windows XP, or maybe switch over to the dark side (Linux), LOL smile

Did you mean to post this here? Simultaneous logins aren't what we're talking about.

Jim