Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
freddy

Network printer

I'm thinking about getting a network laser printer, just a reasonably priced Mono laser with 10/100 Ethernet built in. Am I right in thinking I don't need to connect this type of printer to a computer, I can just plug it into a hub/router, and then the other computers on the network will be able to print to it?

I know how network printers work etc., but I have only ever used them on a server based network. In this case there is no server, just a peer to peer hub based network. Does this type of printer still work the same - just configure the printer with an IP, or assign it with the DHCP router - then connect to it through the normal way in XP/2000? Would I connect to it through a TCP/IP port?

FREDDY

Quote:
just a reasonably priced Mono laser with 10/100 Ethernet built in.

For that I would recommend a HP 2200 DN, comes with JetDirect(ethernet), USB, Parallel, and IR printing capabiltites, and wont hurt your wallet.

Quote:
I can just plug it into a hub/router, and then the other computers on the network will be able to print to it?
Correct as long as those computers support direct IP Printing .... 2000/XP support this. 9X and such will require a download from HP to enable direct TCPIP printing.

Quote:
just configure the printer with an IP, or assign it with the DHCP router
By default they will seek a DHCP lease. Not all models are configurable with a static IP. The higher in cost a printer is, then you will be able to give it a static IP. If possible, just reserve the IP lease.

Quote:
Would I connect to it through a TCP/IP port?

Start / Control Panel / Printers / Add Printer / Local Printer / Create a New Port / Standard TCPIP Port / Type in IP

HTH smile

Thanks, just the info I was looking for...I will take a look at the printer you recommend smile

FREDDY

i will agree with DS3Circuit.the HP 2200 DN its fast with no problems and its easy to configure.

Is there anything thats reliable, and does the job, for half that price?? May be asking a bit much!

If you're extremely thrifty like I am then you could just get a regular parallel printer without the NIC and setup one of your systems with the parallel printer and then just "share" it on the network. Voila, you can even setup a 9 pin dot-matrix printer to be shared on the network. The only problem with cost would be your electricity bill as the system connected to the printer would have to remain on in order for the other systems to have access to the printer.

Here are some links that may help you with your issue as well.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;245603

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814220

Hope that helps