Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cazzman

Kt400 Or Geforce Chipset?

Hi,

as the subject states.

I was thinking kt400 specifically ga-7va or g-a7vaxp motherboards.

but i heard you cant go the athlon 2800+ or the 3000+ even though there website says you can.

anyone know anything about this.

Thanks.

Cazzman.

You can run those Athlon XPs an any of those chipsets. But current KT400 / KT400As won't provide FSBs > 166MHz DDR (=FSB333), altough KT400A will support memory bus speeds @ DDR400

FSB400 will require VIA a new release (somewhere I read KT600).

Nforce2 is said to be capable of providing FSB400 (200MHz DDR), although NVidia didn't announce this up to now. Even if current steppings have their probs future revisions will do.

With the latest Bios both the GigaByte GA-7VA and GA7VAXP will support AMD's 333Mhz Barton core. GA-7VA requiring the F9 bios and GA-7VAXP the F11.

Definitely go for the nforce2 based chipset. They are pretty much unanimusly considered the best socket-a motherboards. I have the A7N8X Deluxe which seems to be teh most popular of the nforce2s. It has soundstorm surround sound(rivals audigy2), dual lan, RAID, dual ddr, ...

Great Board!

There is a good article in MAXIMUM PC this month comparing the NFORCE and the KT400 boards. In their opinion, the NFORCE came out on top, but barely. Some good benchmarks too, very close.

I prefer VIA, never had any problems. (fingers crossed) After reading some of the posts here though, I feel extremely lucky.

nforce2 Chipset has proven in over 20 reviews and 100 benchmarks that it is the best chipset for an AMD processor.

By the way, SoundStorm isn't all that great, buy an external card.

Quote:
nforce2 Chipset has proven in over 20 reviews and 100 benchmarks that it is the best chipset for an AMD processor.

By the way, SoundStorm isn't all that great, buy an external card.

It works great for me. Can't tell any difference in audigy2 with surround sound.

Depends what you are doing.

If you care about getting full music capabilities in games, movies and music, it's a joke to say "SoundStorm is good", SoundStorm is only good because it has Dolby Digital ICE, whereas Audigy doesn't.

However, Audigy 2 is far superior in quality, and capable of bringing a more realistic environment to games and crisper sound than an onboard device.

Read un-bias reviews and you'll see.

You can get an Audigy 2 for $80 bucks now, that's a far better choice.