Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ryoko

xp registry repair

Hi, Anyone know an easy way to repair a whole hive in XP? Every time I open HKCR in regedit my pc reboots. All other keys are fine. I tried the system roll back, but it gives me problems going back further than a day. I would prefer restoring that whole key and preferably from the recovery console so I will be less likely to mess things up.

I guess to be technical I'm trying to restore hklm\software\classes to its default as that is where I believe the corruption exists.

Thanks,

RY

APK

Possibly, but a system state backup incorporates more then just the registry ... boot files, COM+ class registration database and the metabase are added in workstation/standalone server configs.

What you are describing is well described in this article

http://www.jsiinc.com/subf/tip2500/rh2500.htm

But you use WinXP dont ya APK? If so ntbackup backs up the the computer's registry hives to the %systemroot%\Repair folder. It does NOT make a copy of your NTUser.dat to disk. You would have to include the Documents and Settings\%username% in order to fully restore a working registry/profile.

HA, me thinks I am going to try this out and see if I hose a machine or not. smile

HTH

I seem to remember that TweakUI has a "repair registry" option in the "repair" dialog. I am not sure what tihs does of the top of my head thoguh.

APK

Gimme a few days to try this out, I dont wish to blow away my "test" machines just yet lol

Quote:
Quote:
I seem to remember that TweakUI has a "repair registry" option in the "repair" dialog. I am not sure what tihs does of the top of my head thoguh.

I have it here, & I think you mean the "rebuild icons" option... unless the version I have is outta date or something (this is the XP TweakUI by the by, & the one that sits on your desktop as an executeable with .exe extension, not the older .cpl control panel ones from 9x).

Actually, on mine rebuild icons is only one option of a pulldown. I believe there is a repair registry along with another option that slips my mind at the moment. I am not on XP right now but I am fairly certain that this is the case.

I need to thank you all for the wealth of replies. My system is currently still running well, and as that is quite nice it also allowed this problem exist for a while undetected. Unfortunately I found that my backup image was made after this problem happened. Well thats what I get for thinking a ghost image was all I needed when the system was working. I'll keep more in the future... hmm I think it can break the imiges into multiple files for cd. Anyway, I'll certainly try some of the things mentioned here and let you all know.

Thanks again,

RY

Quote:
Quote:
I believe there is a repair registry along with another option that slips my mind at the moment. I am not on XP right now but I am fairly certain that this is the case.

Got a URL with your version, or can you email me the one you have?

Thanks... I'd take it over the model I have here for XP if it has that feature!

smile

My email -> akowals1@twcny.rr.com

APK

P.S.=> That is, provided you can find that feature in the version you are using for XP/2k etc.

I will try to remember to do it when I get off work. It's hard to remember anything when I get home though smile

I use ERUNT along with an NT Backup Script that only backs up the System State. This allows me to only restore the registry when I wish or to revert back to a previous "state" if any changes occur. Much better for my uses than that XP System Recovery although I can see how that would be usefull for newbies it is far too resource hungry and far less detailed than I would like which is why I do not use it.

Quote:
Quote:
For now here is the URL I got mine from.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

Let me know if that doesnt do it and I'll will try to send you mine.

Ok, I found the setting in its drop list you mention... repair regedit.exe, except I think that it is more regarding repairing regedit.exe, the program itself in its views screens & resetting them to default columns it shows etc. & not the registry hives (folders like HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, HKEY_USERS, & HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG)...

* If you take a read of the tips that appear in the group box below it, you will see that it says this... that's more resetting the appearances of the REGEDIT.EXE display it seems like than registry hives files restorations!

smile

APK

That is entirely possible. I just remember seeing something under the repair section that mention the registry.

Well, since I started this thread and you all gave such great advice I thought it would be nice to atleast update you all, and possibly get more ideas smile

I haven't reinstalled yet, not because I don't want to but I really want to solve the problem so I learn more and understand better. I took a copy of the registry files that are put in %systemroot%\repair, and opened a few in registry editor. No problem. Then I opened the software one. Once I navigated to the classes key my machine rebooted. Now this is a copy of those files and it isn't even being touched by windows. Something in just reading those files is causing my machine to reboot.

My next step is to try on another PC. I burned the file to a cd, and will try it then. First I want to see if it reboots that other PC, then I want to see if there is an obviously corrupt part that might be repairable on another computer.

Comments, suggestions? Know of a good 3rd party program that can read those registry copies so I can take regedit out of the picture? I did try 3rd party registry programs on the "live" registry and they had the same problem. Probably shared an API call or something.... I'm not a programmer.

Well thanks again to all who read and helped in this.

-Ry