Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lordbelial

Any way to disable explorer?

Is there any way in XP/2003 Server to disable explorer from booting up? I kno win the 9x series you could edit an ini file. Any suggestions?

hehe... after I saw this question I just had to look... Yup, Progman is still around!! It's in XP Pro!! 8) Are there still people that prefer Progman over Explorer?

Just thought I'd share that... not like I know the answer to your question right off the top of my head, but I'll take a look around smile

Jim

well, so far I've found in the registry this...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

In there is a Shell key which is set to "Explorer.exe"

I'm gonna set mine to progman.exe... just for nostalgia's sake :x

Jim

Quote:
Quote:

I'm gonna set mine to progman.exe... just for nostalgia's sake :x

Jim

* Are you kidding, or are you serious?

(Not busting on you, but I see alot of folks using shell replacements for that very reason: lighter & faster etc. & they have one the WHOLE time basically in Progman!)

APK

I did set mine to Progman, it's been since... early "95 (I bought Win 95 within a week of release) that I've used it as a shell. The one that is in XP is a bit more stark than I remember in 3.1. It looked like I'd need to create my own program groups and all that, and I'm just not feeling THAT nostalgic wink so I changed it back to Explorer after about 15 minutes.

Actually, I like Explorer. The only time I've really messed with it was during the Win98 and the early Pentium2 days. I used 98lite to put the Win95 Explorer in 98. It made a huge performance difference for me then. After about the time the Pentium3 was released the hardware just passed the software requirements by leaps and bounds and I just don't see it as necessary anymore.

Heh... I still have DOS 6.22 and WFW 3.11 disks here and an old computer lying around here. Might be a good day for a trip down memory lane laugh If nothing else I'm sure it'll remind me just how far MS products have advanced in the last 10 years.

Jim

Yes I use both Progman and File Manager in XP... worth their weight in gold, super fast, super light (not leaky) and super stable smile