Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
andre123

comport ---->USB

hello

how can I connect my digtal camera to my laptop....?

the laptop does not have a USB and the camera only got USB connction

how can I connect my camera to the laptop.....???? frown

the laptop got com and printer port......

I've heard of Serial->USB converters but considering that almost all laptops only support 115k for Com port connections. (You'll have to check your computer with AIDA32 or Sisoft Sandra....or simply check Windows Device Manager).

You might be better off with an LPT->USB Connector if they make such a thing....or you could just buy a USB PCMCIA card. laugh

Quote:
hello
how can I connect my digtal camera to my laptop....?
the laptop does not have a USB and the camera only got USB connction
how can I connect my camera to the laptop.....???? frown
the laptop got com and printer port......

How old is the laptop? Is it running Windows 98 or newer? If it's 98 or newer the easiest would be just use a PCMCIA USB adapter. If it's Windows 95 your camera might not work with it anyway, and USB ports likely won't work also.

Jim

Quote:
Quote:
If it's Windows 95 your camera might not work with it anyway, and USB ports likely won't work also.

Jim

Guys, some "FYI":

I have a Windows 95 Osr/2 Cd-Rom that says it has "USB Support" included on it for installation...

smile

* So, that does exist... Win95 w/ USB on it!

(It'd just be a matter of him getting the same type of Cd-Rom I have here, a Windows 95 Fat32 Osr/2 capable release w/ USB support in it natively @ installation of the OS!)

APK

P.S.=> It MAY be doable for him... provided he can get ahold of such a Cd-Rom to use... he could potentially stick w/ 95 here! apk

Yea, but ALL of the Win95 disks previous to that (2-3 years worth) did not have usb support. Win 95 didn't have usb support until just shortly before Win98 appeared. It's also something that can't be added on afterwards to an earlier version. Plus, the support in Win95 with the usb was a little shaky. There are quite a few devices that required Win98 or newer. Not saying it can't be done, but if it's running Win95 the deck is stacked against him. He'd likely be better off getting a serial memory card reader (do those exist?) and use that.

Of course all this assumes he's using Win95.... would all be moot if he's using 98 or newer :x

Jim

If your system supports usb, being win95b or up, you might look into a pcmcia usb card, it fits into a free pcmcia slot and allows you to do just what you're wanting to do.

also, just for FYI, the Serial and LPT to USB adapters are meant to connect a non-usb device to a usb host. they only go one way, they dont have a host bridge chip in them.

you'll need a usb pcmcia card, or maybe a floppy-disk adapter for your memory card is available. sandisk makes a couple different ones I think.