Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PinkPanther

Any alternatives to trillian?

Hello all,

I have looked, but my searches keep giving lots of useless information ...

I am looking for a product that is similar to Trillian in function, but that uses NO skins, or at least allows for skins to be turned off, so that the programs will use normal windows interface objects.

Thanks for any suggestions ....

By the way, I know that a skin could be found or made to match my desktop in Trillian, but my preference for non-skinned applications is not just about looks; it is also about functionality; for example, the scroll bar in Trillian does not actually disappear when there is nothing to scroll, it just fills up the scroll space, and dragging Trillian across the screen on a slower system causes video glitches, since it is attempting to redraw as it moves, and turning off "show window ontents while dragging" does not apply to skinned applications; there are many reason I do not use skins, which is why I am looking for a non-skinned alternative smile

That was not a rant on skins - just an explnation of why finding the "right" skin for Trillian does not really solve my problem frown

Thanks again

Thanks, shihonage

I was hoping for an all-in-one application, like Trilian. Unfortunately, it is beginning to look like there is no program that allows for a no-skins option. I found two others, like Trillian, that allow connections to the main 4 IM services, but they all use skins without the option of turning them off frown

I hope more developers start incorporating the no-skins option into their programs. There are several applications out there that use skins but that also allow for the skinning to be turned off - I think those are great, since they appeal to both the skins fan and those of us who don't like using skins. Sadly, the IM area is lacking such an application frown

Anyway, thanks for the reply smile

I don't know about the skins issue, but I'm told that gaim is pretty good.