Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ali

Any solutions to the new Win XP problem?

Today I had 3 cases of WIN XP systems not being able to log in due to some hacker problem!

the story is somebody changes the administrative password and changes all the account to Limited account with VERY limited access to everything. you can't even access your documents "ACCESS IS DENIED: YOU DO NOT HAVE SUFFICIENT RIGHTS TO ACCESS THESE FILES> CONTATACT YOUR NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR(Mr. Hacker)"

one of them got hacked for a second time after we had to format the HDD and reinstall windows. He bought a router with built in firewall after that (he has only one computer at his home office)

I have two more situations in hand right now that i have no idea what to suggest to the poor customers.

I whould appreciate any comments and help

thank you

Hello,

i would like to be of help for you, but do not fully get what you mean. Is it a problem being online and get a trojan or is it people leaving their seat and someone sneaks and plays a joke to them?

It looks like somebody is hacking into your computer and changes your network settings. then changes the user settings so you can't access your files. they change the rights and create an administrative password on the system.

so you just turn on the computer, and unlike before you have to press ALT+Ctrl+Del to log in. so you do that and you type in your user-name, you can log in but you can not access anything. you cannot even open some of your personal files, (you get "you do not have sufficient rights to access these files. contact your admin" type of errors)

all these customers use high-speed internet. their IP address in known so after we format the HDD and reinstall windows (the only solution we have at this time) they take it home and they get hacked again.

if it was happening to one computer then i would have said it is kind of a joke, but since i'm getting more of these back it can't be a sick joke from a co-worker or some stupid kid. somebody is playing around some security lack in Win XP.

(One more thing: They are all Windows XP Home, haven't got a case with XP Pro yet. that could be because we sell more XP homes than pro?)

As i am not using xp anymore, i sold my copy of xp professional and use windows 2000 and server 2003 testversion, i am not familiar with xp home edition.

But from what i had on my share of problems with xp, could it be that these poor users just fall in a trap-bug from xp home, maybe 1 false click and they lock the door themselves, unknowingly????

Do they use a simple freeware firewall like yonealarm or sygate personal firewall?

Quote:

Do they use a simple freeware firewall like yonealarm or sygate personal firewall?

I have used Zonealarm, but the hacker guy could easily hack it and place that MIRC worm on the system. after i bought a router (that guy made me! laugh ) he could no longer do anything and we never had any hacking problem again.

honestly i don't know if these guys have been setting their firewall programs correctly (on one system they had Mcafee firewall). who knows what these customers do! laugh

Yes Ali,

maybe thats the solution, i agree with you, there is nothing a newbie cant do with it, hehe.

My girlfriend calls everything disc, no matter what it is, floppy, CD, DVD, even other electronic devices, so....