Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sayow

Wireless Woes - Linksys WUSB11 and Loss of signal

Hello everyone. I am hoping some of the experts can assist me in a very frustrating problem that I am 6 days into frown

I have just setup a "game room" with 6 new rigs ranging from an AMD 2600 to a P4 3GHz. All rigs are running XP SP1 and use the Linksys WUSB11 wireless adapters to connect to a WAP11 (v2.2).

Everything is setup and running, connecting to the net with only one strange problem. Approximately every 60 to 120 secs the signal will drop from 90-100% all the way down to 20% or lower for a very brief 1-3 secs. The Linksys wirelss lan monitor will go red and I get really bad lag (obviously) for those 1-3 secs. This is very consistant and moving the WAP to within 10' with no obstacles has not helped any.

I had heard from browsing the net that the XP Zero Configurator could be the problem, so I unchecked the "let windows manage config" box but that did not help.

Additionally, I have tried all the following to no avail:

- Updated WAP firmware (latest on linksys site)

- Reinstalled drivers

- Changed channels

- Moved WAP very close

- Wired one pc with RJ45 to eliminate my cable modem as cause

- Changed SSID

- Tried with and without WEP (normally will not use)

- Turned off XP Zero Config

I am hoping that someone has seen this or has some ideas. My son and I like to play the online games and this 1-3 sec makes it nearly impossible to enjoy the experience laugh

Thank you so much in advance.

Rich

I have seen this before on a home network running the same NIC, WAP and OS. The adapter would essential just lose signal all together and have to be manually reconnected after a while. We are still trying to figure out why and have since switched brands to Netgear with no problems.

Quote:
WUSB11 wireless adapters

USB NICs? I have never trusted nor supported them in wireless communication ...... since it appears to be hardware based, I would suggest in giving linksys a call.

I have try somthing similar at work using Linksys 54g pc-card and 54g WAP. We have 2 inventory rooms with one on the second floor and other on the first. Connection was really bad when moving around, sometime it will go from 60% to 20% and even disconnect altogether. Granted our building has wall but it was a big problem with wireless. The distant from the WAP and the rooms are only about 50ft max. I ended up just wired a wall jack in each room for the laptop the shipping guy is using to pull materials, works alot better, just unplug and go. Overall I don't have good experience with wireless...yet. Maybe the technology needs more tunning?

Originally posted by Sayow:

Quote:
Hello everyone. I am hoping some of the experts can assist me in a very frustrating problem that I am 6 days into frown

<snip>

Approximately every 60 to 120 secs the signal will drop from 90-100% all the way down to 20% or lower for a very brief 1-3 secs. The Linksys wirelss lan monitor will go red and I get really bad lag (obviously) for those 1-3 secs. This is very consistant and moving the WAP to within 10' with no obstacles has not helped any.

<snip>

I am hoping that someone has seen this or has some ideas. My son and I like to play the online games and this 1-3 sec makes it nearly impossible to enjoy the experience laugh

Thank you so much in advance.

Rich

I found this thread via a google search, and while old, i've been experiencing the exact same problem. every 45-120 seconds, the signal strength and link quality plummets from 100% / 100% to zero, and then bounces back to 100%. There are no other wireless devices near it and am at a loss as to the cause. I fear that it's an issue directly related to the WUSB11's as this is the 3rd message I've seen in regards to the exact same problem. The only resolution I've found so far was a new wireless NIC.

I also had this tonight with a WUSB11 v2.8 under Windows XP SP2. The connection dropped every minute or so then reconnected, to a Linksys WAG54 v2 wireless router. Reinstallation of drivers made no difference and other machines connected to the router at the same time without losing connections, isolating the problem to the WUSB11.

Went quietly mad for an hour or two ... until I checked closely the model number stamped on the underside of the WUSB11 and saw it was 'v2.8' yet the drivers on the CD were for 'v2.6'. Hmm. A quick hop to the Linksys support site, download the right drivers for the 2.8 model and hours of frustration ended, no more dropped connections! (I also disabled the 'let Windows disconnect to save power' setting, but I'd done this before and it didn't solve things so it was 100% the wrong driver shipped on CD for this product).

Hope this helps!

Duncan

Couldn't this also be a result of the built-in USB power save issue with WinXP that is fixed with a registry edit? I don't remember where I found it buy my Gigabyte Athlon board was cycling power to my d-link USB wireless adapter and I went in and changed the registry setting. It would still do it but would be hours instead of every couple of minutes. Turned out to be something specific to that MB but the issue is still the same. Sorry, I can't remember the specific URL but it is there...on microsoft.com somewhere...