Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Christianb

Web form - IBM 75GXP Hard Drives - Class Action Law Suit

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

Hi Gang,

I finally found out some info on this lawsuit against IBM. It's related to their defective 75GXP line which acconts for most of their 15-75GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache drives. There's a web form listed their to leave your testament. Hopefully, we'll all be compensated for the incredible loss of time, productivity, and peace of mind we all expect from our hard drives. For the record I won't be buying an IBM HD ever again or their Hitachi clones. Western Digital Special Editions are the best right now to my knowledge they're the only line of parallel IDE drives to offer a 3 year warranty any more. When an IBM HD fails they don't send you a new one, nor will they cross-ship, but they are happy to make you wait for 3 weeks while they ship you a refurbished replacement from Malaysia. When a WD Fails they'll have you a new one in about 2-3 days, and it's a brand new drive. Not only that if you decide that you would like to trade-up to something better at the same time, whey'll let you do so. IBM does not. Way to go WD!

http://www.sheller.com/ibmclassaction.htm

Adios Amigos,

Christian

I'd also like to note that IBM and WD use the exact same drive technology that is they're bedfellows. The difference is WD recalled their defective 75GXP generation drives like a decent company. Fujitsu and IBM like to beat around the bush and completely screw their customers instead. Of course Fujitsu justed lied to everyone for a year saying there weren't any problems even though they knew otherwise. Then at the last minute they came out saying oh ya it was our suppliers' fault. Which it was, but they should have recalled the whole line immediately rather than saving face in the short run.

Adios Amigos,

Christian

yeah i have heard to stay away from IBM desktop drives. Their laptop drives are still very good though, so dont let their poor desktop drives persuade you from their laptop drives.

I had a 45gig 75gxp fail on me about 13 months after purchase. It took right at 3 weeks, but they sent me back a 60gig 120gxp.

Yeah, the whole ordeal was a headache. But as far as customer support goes, I found the swap out acceptable. I'm still using that 120gxp, and it's speedy as far as I'm concerned. I don't run a server on it, but I usually run it all week long; using it off and on for gaming and various media stuff.

Hi Ej,

That's promissing for me. Perhaps I'll send mine in. I'd love to have two 60GBs that...I don't know...WORKED! laugh

Thanks for the info,

Christian Blackburn

Thank goodness for having Maxtor HDD's. There HDD are fairly close to the same speed but they don't have any recalls. Maybe the 8MB Maxtor HDD's will put them over the top as far as speed is concered.

Quote:
Thank goodness for having Maxtor HDD's. There HDD are fairly close to the same speed but they don't have any recalls. Maybe the 8MB Maxtor HDD's will put them over the top as far as speed is concered.

You are correct. The Diamondmax Plus 9 series are great drives. Comes in both ATA133 and SATA. Read the reviews and you will find they are the fastest SATA/UATA133 drives on the market.

Hi Alec,

I couldn't agree more. Western Digital has a long history of making quality drives, not always the fastest, but always durable. And yes what separates the good companies from the bad is how they respond when their products turn out to be defective. I read a study saying that 1/4 of all computer hardware shipped is defective. With numbers like that don't you want to give your money to the company with the balls to do a product recall. IBM won't do it, fujitsu likes to lie to users for a year and tell them everything is fine, and then do a product recall. Who will you give your money to? When I was a boy I'd often take my hard disk with me when I'd visit my dad. This would ensure that all my games would come with me smile. I had a western digital drive that I took on two plane flights one from Seattle to Sacramento and back. On the way back I came home with a Seagate drive my dad gave me. Both drives eventually failed due to the presurized cabin. However the Seagate died the moment I took it home after only one plane flight. The Western Digital drive continued to work for about 4 months, before it also died. However do recall the Western Digital made it two plane flights and then some the Seagate died after one exposure. I can only assume that laptop HDs and or the laptop's outer enclosures somehow protect the drives from this type of air pressure. I did travel with the drives in boxes and somehow it still affected them? Oh well, they were only 210MB (Seagate) and 340MB (WD). So you know this happened quite a long time ago smile.

Adios Amigos,

Christian