Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sceptor

Need the help of some computer Tweakers (gaming related)

Ok. Here’s the issue at hand.

I’ve played games for a while and never really had issues with my system and all of the sudden shit’s gone very wrong. I normally am a fan of win2k but I am using Windows XP and I really don’t see how that could be the problem in this situation.

I play a lot of games like counter-strike, freelancer, etc but recently I got back into Dark Ages of Camelot. Now with Dark Ages of Camelot I tried to play windowed mode and it took up so many system recourses that my system wouldn’t even play in game sounds properly. In full screen mode the game itself runs fine but I cant even alt tab and play mp3’s and everything is REDICULOUSLY slow. I don’t remember but i have had Windows XP for some while now and I did tweak the system but I don’t understand how it could be operating like this.

Everyone I talk to seems to run Dark Ages of Camelot in windowed mode fine and my friend who has an older system runs it in windowed mode, plays mp3s and even programs without a problem.

The only diff in his system that’s better then mine is his video card but his system is slower by a fair amount processor and ram wise and it runs fine on his.

My system is 2 raided 120 gigs 7200rpm.

1gig of RDram 1066 MHz

2.53 gighz p4

GF2 GTS (that’s the only thing I can think of that’d be causing it…but it runs counter-strike fine and runs freelancer and other games ok)

I really don’t know what to do but someone mentioned page file and I am just thinking there’s a system setting somewhere.

I really don’t want to have to reformat and go back to win2k, I was thinking of buying a gf4 to see if that fixed it but I mean there’s no justification for Dark Ages of Camelot taking up 100% of my system recourses when I have a system like I do and not even being able to play mp3 files.

BTW I went into task manager and have put DAOC on “LOW” system priority and winamp on high and it didn’t fix it…so there’s something wrong. Wondering if any of you have any suggestions or help other then “format” or ‘break it”

my guess, this is a driver issue, try the viseo card for a start (the latest is not always the greatest) your system specs are pretty damn good if you ask me, and way better than mine ( except I have a gf3 ti500) and I have no problems with software and speed what so ever.

whats your full hardware run down?

what does dark ages use? d3d or opengl? (you may need a wrapper)

you have xp sp1 installed?

this is not a reason to go back to 2k if other people are not having the problem, it's just something in settings or windows/drivers