Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

"entry point...KERNEL32.dll" error. (NTFS related)

So now I know the cause of the "The procedure entry point blahblahblah could not be located in dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll" error. The question is how do u solve it.

This error is related to OLD windows/DOS applications trying to access files from an NTFS volume or partition. What is needed is some way to have Windows 2000/XP handle all file access and "emulate" direct file access for these apps/games.

I tried the application compatibility thing and messed with it for hours only to figure out that there is nothing i can do about it.

San anyone offer a solution?

thanx.

Yes I know a bit about old games trying to directly access hardware. Since I had a game like this, and the latest pacth got around this error message, i now KNOW this message is most probably NTFS related (old games can't dig ntfs).

I was just wondering if there is a way to FORCE applications to direct hardware calls to the OS rather than the hardware or file system.

perhaps a good clarification to make at this point is the patch I applied. The patch I applied was the official update from version 1.04 to version 1.08 of Command And Conquer: Red Alert (Windows 95 version). Apparently, Westwood (EA) studios did something that got rid of that message.

The game still gives errors when playing, but pressing the space bar key twice solves them. Usually before/after cutscenes windows beeps, and u tap the keyboard twice and it goes OK.

Anyways. I know old DOS/Win9x games attempt to access hardware directly. Also, I seem to have trouble with such old games under NTFS. I REFUSE to install win9x/Me for gaming purposed. I consider win9x/Me junk that should never be put on any machine that has some respect, lol

Thanx for the valuable insight AlecStaar. Your help has been much appreciated (as always) smile

Cool. I will try it on a machine with FAt 16/32 (since I don't have much space here). Thanx for the insight smile

Quote:

I don't always know the answers, who does... ? BUT, sometimes just talking it thru with others can get you around to thinking it out yourself & thinking of a way around it... just like talking over life's other hassles with others!

true smile

Thanx again for the advice and ideas. I will look into it a little more if it bugs me. Otherwise i will live with it smile