Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
juha

Win XP is it worth to buy...

Hi, i am newbye-bye and i am afraid to move in win XP OS, help me out.

Now i am using Win 98SE and all works fine even most DOS games.

I have SBLive! 1024 player sound card..does Win 98 drivers work with this card?

How many Service Packs are there?

Do i get all CRITICAL patches with those Service Packs? I don´t have net access in my home so...

Is my computer GOOD gaming platform after moving to Win XP?

Does those Service Packs solve most critical bugs? I mean, Win 98SE is enough, but how long developers support Win 98 that´s mystery.

If i want to remove Win XP is this

possible:

I have CD ROM DOS drivers,I boot in DOS mode and delete Windows XP and reinstall it...or install Win 98SE, again.

or is Win XP pro bootable from CD, so i just could delete all windows files from HDD and boot from Win XP CD and reinstall it.

I heard that Win XP checks whole system and if i upgrade anything it won´t boot and i have to reinstall Win XP??? I can´t even change graphics card?? How about motherboard??

Is it must to go in net and register Win XP from there...i DON`T have net access in my home..or is there registration code like win 98 SE has??

I have planned to buy Win XP Pro

thanks

Quote:
Hi, i am newbye-bye and i am afraid to move in win XP OS, help me out.

Hi, welcome to the forums

Quote:
Now i am using Win 98SE and all works fine even most DOS games.

I have SBLive! 1024 player sound card..does Win 98 drivers work with this card?

No, you would need Windows XP drivers for your sound card, in addition to any other hardware devices.

Quote:
How many Service Packs are there?

Just one.

Quote:
Do i get all CRITICAL patches with those Service Packs? I don´t have net access in my home so...

There will be some on Windows Update after installation of XP SP1, but if you don't have internet access where the PC will be used, I wouldn't be too concerned, as most are patches for network/internet vulnerabilites.

Quote:
Is my computer GOOD gaming platform after moving to Win XP?

Yes! Depending on the hardware limitations, anyway. Windows XP is great for gaming, and more stable than 98/98SE.

Quote:
Does those Service Packs solve most critical bugs? I mean, Win 98SE is enough, but how long developers support Win 98 that´s mystery.

If I recall correctly, official Microsoft support for Windows 98 has ended. As I said above, the SP for XP does address most issues, but again, without connectivity, there's only so many vulnerabilites.

Quote:
If i want to remove Win XP is this
possible:

I have CD ROM DOS drivers,I boot in DOS mode and delete Windows XP and reinstall it...or install Win 98SE, again.

or is Win XP pro bootable from CD, so i just could delete all windows files from HDD and boot from Win XP CD and reinstall it.

The Windows XP CD is bootable, and I would personally suggest you dual boot with both operating systems until you are satisified with only using Windows XP, that way you can transfer your files, settings, etc.

Quote:
I heard that Win XP checks whole system and if i upgrade anything it won´t boot and i have to reinstall Win XP??? I can´t even change graphics card?? How about motherboard??

Is it must to go in net and register Win XP from there...i DON`T have net access in my home..or is there registration code like win 98 SE has??

Windows XP does have product activation, which can be completed over the phone with a Microsoft rep if you do not have internet access. If you change major hardware, you may be required to re-activate your installation. It does not lock you out, or require a format and reinstall. It does require a phone call to Microsoft, just with a quick explanation of why you need to reactivate. Also, if your hardware goes unchanged for 120 days (someone correct me if I am mistaken...) than that hardware profile is accepted as the 'standard' profile, and re-activation is not necessary.

Quote:
I have planned to buy Win XP Pro

Good, software piracy does not pay.

Quote:
thanks

No problem!

thanks,

i have looked patches in microsoft download section,

there is

Q######_WXP_SP1_x##_ENU.exe kind of files

does that SP1 mean that this fix is part of service pack 1?

how about those fixes where is SP2 instead of SP1?? Does this mean that Microsoft is planning Service Pack 2??

this might be obvious but i wanna be sure.

thanks

I just setup a clean WinXP machine the other day at home, and after installing SP1, there were about 20 additional patches that needed to be installed.

Most of these will be rolled into SP2 when it becomes available.

Once that happens, it should be a case of installing SP2, and maybe a couple of extra IE patches and you're done.

But then the pre SP3 patches will come out... laugh