Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cazzman

AMD Palomino?

Hello everybody

*Hello doctor nick*

Anyhooooooooooooow,

i woz just wonderings about AMD palomino.

Im thinking of buying an AMD palomino XP 2000+, but can i just put this straight into the mudabored im getting or will i have to falsh the bios?

the mudabored is GA-7VA.

see http://www.hallmark.com.au/hmonline/products/motherboard.asp?productcode=B7VAKT4

for more info.

oh, and will this make a lot of noise?

or will it just hum quietly.

please say hum.

Cazzman.

You in Tasmania are running a little behind the times smile palomino is the pre production name for the AMD MP cpu. MPs are normaly used in SMP dual processor configurations. I think you'd be more interested in an Athlon XP.

And, although the CPU makes absolutely no sound, the cpu heatsink fan can make a bit more of a racket laugh

sorry just my manafacturers sheet says athlon xp palomino.

ill get the new months list

maybe theyll have figured it all out!

Hi Cazzman

With the motherboard you're planning on getting (GA-7VA) you can just pop the 'Palomino' in no problems. It will be just the heatsink and fan that will make the most noise, between 26-35 decibels depending on which HSFan you buy.

As for flashing to the latest BIOS, according to Gigabyte's website this will allow you the future upgrade path to the 333Mhz FSB and the Barton core.

My only suggestion is to go for the 'Thoroughbred' instead of 'Palomino' core as it is supported by the GA-7VA and both cores are similarly priced.

http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7VA.htm

I agree with hood,

The Thoroughbreds run much cooler and therefore u can afford to run a quiter fan.

I would search around for a throoughbred B since they run very cool and are great overclockers!

Also, may i just say that that the AthlonMP's were first built on th thoroughbred cores..... wink