Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

Ok Win2k Gamer question

Ok so what reason would a GAMER home user have to run Win2k if XP is so much better for home users?

hmm, well any heavy gamers out there that chose Win2k pro over XP and have had success? Just curious.

Even Quake I , Hexen I, Hexen II, Doom II, Heretic I run fine on W2K, not to speak of newer games, the only good one wich causes headache are the Need For Speed Series.

So why do people say that winxp is sooo much better at games and that win2k is for the workplace

Maybe because many people started using NT-based system with XP, and left out W2K. XP was and is sold with many new computers, whereas W2K was in this kind of distribution only for a short time.

Ignorance mostly. Friends talk and friends listen. Unfortunately unless your really in-depth with this stuff then you really cannot know. How could you? Most people don't have the time/need to sit for hours at a PC and test compatibility to prove a point. MS say's that XP is the successor of ME to Gaming. Since the consumers come from ME to XP and see how much better it is (Who wouldn't after coming from ME?) then they automatically assume that since Windows 2000 is older than Windows XP then it must be crap compared to Windows XP. Not realizing that just because something is the latest and greatest doesn't necessarily mean that it is the latest and greatest.

Just look at my NT Game Compatibility list. There's your answer right there as far as Game Compatibility is concerned. As far as desktop stability, level of usability upon OS release, optimial desktop layout for actual computer use....that isn't shown in my list but I wish I could write up an actual article to provide actual proof of which OS is "better"....but whatdoIknow. Nothing obviously. smile

Because Bill said "Windows 2000 is for business"

And the rumour mill says "NT can't pl;ay games"

Those 2 points got somehow mixed together, and here we are.

And what do you know, here's everyone now runing their games on nt(XP)

dredging up an old topic.. laugh

I have used both and I much prefer win2k to xp for gaming.

I find 2k to be a cleaner OS on install than xp and I have to shut to much stuff down in xp to make it leaner.and then when you do it ends up looking like 2k... 8)

but seriously I don't want to debate the merits of which is best but for myself I much prefer 2k over xp.

and I haven't had any problems running games that really didn't come down to a video driver issue or sound driver issue.. Rarely if ever has it been an OS issue.

S

compatibility.

and dont say "oh but sites like toms use 2k in benchmarks - they often use 2k for other reason, such as drivers or something that is not availible under XP.

Xp has better compatibility as it was not made specifically for the office.

The only thing that would tempt me back to Win2K for gaming is HalfLife.

Ever since the upgrade to XP I haven't been able to play it. Mouse control is erratic, and keyboard commands aren't much better. It was flawless under 2K though.

But it's been so long since I've played it now, that I'm not bothered anymore. And with HL2 finally on the horizon, I should soon be able to get a proper game under XP smile

Other than that though, XP has has been pretty flawless for the games I play.

Quote:
Quote:
The only thing that would tempt me back to Win2K for gaming is HalfLife.

Ever since the upgrade to XP I haven't been able to play it. Mouse control is erratic, and keyboard commands aren't much better. It was flawless under 2K though.

But it's been so long since I've played it now, that I'm not bothered anymore. And with HL2 finally on the horizon, I should soon be able to get a proper game under XP smile

Other than that though, XP has has been pretty flawless for the games I play.

At least you got it to work, SOMEWHAT! I never could, that is one game I ended up giving up because of that on XP, & none of the patches cut it either.

(I've been there myself, where @ least between 9x & NT 4.0, mouse related API work varied WILDLY... I would not have imagined that between 2k & XP, which to me seem SO close in nature & code, that would happen as you describe it once you got HalfLife working, but I would not doubt it either!)

frown

APK

Wow. Halflife worked fine for me on two different machines running xp home and pro.

for any of you having problems are you using logitech or ibm mice? i have found that and i can verify this, that it seems that most logitech mice tend to get all spastic when it comes to half life in particular. i had this logitech optical mouse for a long time and on windows 2000 professional and windows xp professional i had these really weird problems with it. such as, if you move the mouse too fast it will appear to just go crazy on its own. so for my pc i bought a microsoft mouse then all of a sudden all of my problems with half life disappear.

enter a few weeks ago: i purchased a used pc from a friend, its a 900mhz duron blah blah blah really doesnt matter, but i hooked up my old logitech mouse to it and needless to say, this mouse still causes problems with half life, its like the mouse is just really quirky...its hard to explain how it feels but its if you move the mouse too fast then it just appears to do its own thing lol. i have had that problem with my microsoft mouse and the fix for me was NOT installing microsoft's intellipoint software, that completely fixed that problem for me. i can only see two possibilities here: logitech's optical mice' scanning sensor cannot pick up as many movement's as my microsoft mouse can at once or the logitech mouse uses a TOTALLY different method of tracking movement. if you use a logitech mouse, buy a cheap microsoft optical mouse and i bet your mousing problems go away as long as you dont install the intellipoint software/drivers.

also add '-noforcemparms' in the command line parameters for half life [without the 's of course and leave a space between the target and the parameter] and that basically clears acceleration, provided you have it disabled in the control panel for either win2000 or xp.

ive seen this trouble on 3 systems in my house and the only fix was to do the above mentioned. get a microsoft mouse and dont install the software. my logitech does it no matter what i do.

I Think XP runs more games fine - when people have problems it is likely more related to the drivers for their hardware and not XP it;s self.

Just wait for Half life 2 smile

Well through my experience, I think that Windows 98 ran Half-Life and a bunch of other games better then when I upgraded to XP. I havent tried Windows 2000 for games....not sure, you'd think that since they have the same core that they would run the same way. But that's logical thinking, and nothing to do with computers laugh

Im getting cable internet tomorrow (finally) and I may reformat and install 2000 (now that I can dl all the nessasary stuff, in a short amount of time) and see how that will run.

Pat

regarding the issue with half life and windows 2000/xp all i can say is to upgrade to the latest patch

^^^^

can u shrink your sig using the tags and possibly go side to side with it? instead of up and down

mine is size=10.