Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
killersheep

XP Refresh Rate Problem with 1280x1024

Hi, i am new to these forums and have found this website very useful. I was wondering if i could have some help. I have read the article that demonstartes how to edit the registry (windows XP Pro) to force your applications to run in higher refresh rates. This article is found here: http://www.ntcompatible.com/story.php?id=14749 .

However, i am experiencing a problem with forcing 1280 by 1024 to run at 100 hz. If i put this key in and apply the correct string and close regedit, open up display properties and go to set the resolution, the screen resolution is missing! The highest available resolution selectable is 1280 x 768. This obviously causes problems in applications as the application doesn't think the monitor supports the screen resolution anymore. At first, i thought that it may for some reason knock off the highest refresh rate that you apply to the registry (it is microsoft afterall!!!!), so i tried 1600x1200 and setup a setting for that. But still no 1280x1024. Now when i uncheck the box that says "Hide unsupported resolutions", 1280x1024 is now useable, however, the application will run this in 60hz which causes headaches for me. I know the screen supports 1280x1024 @ 150hz and it also runs at 100hz, so there should not be a problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am running at a loose end here for options, and it annoys me greatly that MicroSoft haven't even corrected this issue with an update.

My monitor is a HP A4331A and my graphics card is Geforce 3 Ti 200. I have tried the latest Nvidia Detonator drivers with the refresh rate utility built in, however, these also do not apply themselves, in any resolution!! (Well done Nvidia!!!).

One other thing, i have setup 1152 x 864 and 1024 x 768 to run at 120hz. This is great except.. when i go into a game and bring up the fps (Half-Life) it runs constantly at 85hz! Bareable, but not exactly 120hz!! I know the frame rate is capped at 100 as it worked fine on my old monitor in the same resolution at 100hz! I would like ot point out tho that the old monitor drivers do not exist as i have reinstalled windows (yesterday!!). Any suggestions on what is going on there?

Many thanks for your responses in advanced.

Sheepy

Desktop refresh does not equal DirectX refresh. They are seperate.

You might be better off giving up with the Windows settings, and downloading PowerStrip. It will let you create all kinds of custom resolutions and refresh rates.

Hi - Thanks for your replies. I have tried PowerStrip, and have had no success, i have even tried to write my own driver using their monitor driver utility tool included with the program. I have tried a few Nvidia Tools also, but none of these seem to work. It used to work on the old Detonater 29.42 Version but i then updated (which was needed to run battlefield 1942) and since nvidia's ever so useful force refresh rate utility came out, i can not override the refresh rates with the old utility. Since Nvidia's incorporated refresh rate over rider does not work, i'm very much so stuck. What other utilities could i try? Any help would be muchly appreciated. Thanks.

Sheep

you can try using rivaTuner. That is what I use to change my 1024x768 @ 100Hz to 85Hz. You can set low level and driver level refresh rate overriding.

www.guru3d.com is where you can get the program at. It should work.

Hi killersheep, i use for the Nvidia 43 driver a tool (freeware) called RatePatch.exe. It even works on Windows 2003 Advanced Server RC2.

When this does not work, you might have messed something by editing the original driver. So you MUST first uninstall the Nvidia driver, reinstall the WHQL 43 driver, reboot, use RatePatch.exe, reboot, and then u should be fine.

It works on OPENGL from Doom II over Quake I , II and III to Sof2, Moha, whatever uses OPENGL.

Hey AlecStaar, so you found out how EASY it is to read german, hehe.

When you play some opengl game, before for example quake 3 starts, and you are still on the options in the game, you can push the adjustement button on your monitor, and the refresh rate you see then, is the same as during the game itself.

Have you checked the monitor drivers?

does your monitor support that refresh-rate at that resolution?

wuold it really work? is it just the software that tells you what refreshrate you have or actually that is the refreshrate you get out of the monitor. i'm lost! ;(

I got a samsung syncmaster 950pplus and it shows on any occasion the actual refreshrate, so this proggi does do the job, at least with my monitor and a geforce3 ti500. AND .... when you play quake I long enough, anyone would notize 60 Hz.

Quote:
Ali,

Yes, it works! I can tell pretty easily @ this point now.

Fact is, that now I am pretty certain of it that the "RefreshRate" program works for me here on OpenGL based games...

(I have a ViewSonic G810² 21" monitor that @ 32-bit "True-Color" while @ 1600x1200 resolutions can support up to 72hz refresh rates when powered by this NVidia GeForce 4 Ti4600 128mb RAM videoboard I have here...)

smile

* Does the job well enough, & I can tell the refresh rate is up higher now by the smoothness of the framerates & less strain on my eyes (Shakti has a point there).

APK

Nice monitor, I bought a SAMSUNG 19" flat for my brother and i'm using a 17" Flat NEC monitor. May be it's time for me to upgrade my monitor. I don't have much room on my desk, for a 19" i have to look for a LCD or something. (i don't loke LCD's, the resolutions are limited)