Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nodens

Radeon 9700 PRO Infinite Loop

Hi to all!

I have the Hercules ATI RADEON 9700 PRO and I am using ATI's CATALYST 3.1 along with XP - DX9. When I try to run ATI's demos (8500,9000,9700), DX9 tests & 3DMark03, the system hangs and I need to restart or it returns to a corrupted desktop. The same problem also happens (rarely this one) while I am working 2D. It hangs and after some minutes returns to a resized-corrupted desktop with the following message:

...system just returned from and an unrecoverable error...please restart (something like that)

Sometimes the blue screen of death appears with an ati driver error.

The following message is created in Event System:

The driver ati2dvag for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

The message that I could not remember is (from Event System):

Application popup: Windows - System Error : Microsoft Windows detected and recovered from a device failure. Please save your work and reboot to restore full functionality.

I had a lot of problems with my first 8500 pro, I returned it and all is well.

One thing that i have noticed is the corrupted desktop problem. This is due to shite drivers and the fact if your system crashes the drivers or the card doesnt clear the memory. Hopefully a BIOS update will fix that.

I also increased my iconcache too and that helped. If you get corrupted icons just rebuild the icon cache using TweakUI. One thing that I noticed is that the card is VERY picky on what powersupply you use, and that the connectors on the back that solder the power connector in place can get loose, so you might need to pick up some solder. I had a generic 300watt and the card didnt like it. I switched that out to a Antec True Power 400watt (got a steal on it too $50USD) and now everything is fine.

What are your system specs, because if your getting an infinite loop Im guessing its a VIA chipset (damn company needs to fire all their programers and steal some from intel that way they will learn how to make North and Southbridges). I dont have any 4in1s or anything installed, and i have no problems. Im running a legacy mobo too (KT7a).

Anyway post your system specs and i will see what i can't find out.

Also check the www.rage3d.com forums there are A LOT of radeon users in there, that forum helped me solve my problems and get my card running stable.

After flashing the BIOS too for some reason the card is picked up as a 9700 series card, and using the Soft 9700 patch, got myself a 9700 pro for 9500 costs, and i can overclock.

Well I am not using a VIA chipset, but Intel's E2705. My mainboard is Gigabyte's 8INXP. My power supply is pretty good. I have a Levicom 420W. I also think that a BIOS update will fix this problem, but still there is nothing on Gigabyte's site.

Check out asusboards.com, it's a good site even for non Asus users. There's quite a lot of discussion going on about the combination of E7205-based motherboards and Radeon 9700 Pro cards. I personally own the Asus P4G8X Deluxe, with a Gigabyte Radeon 9700 Pro, and had frequent crashes and dropouts to like 640x480, 16 colors, until I disabled fast writes in the ATi control panel.

If I've understood it correctly, this is due to an errata in the E7205 chipset which Intel currently has no plans of fixing. Sucks big time...but at least fast writes doesn't really mean much to performance. Oh, well.

I have this problem too! And i have a hercules 9500 Pro, Asus p4g8x and i have an Antec True Power 430watts. I get the identical crashes as described earlier. There has to be something you can do to fix this problem! Sigh..we're just supposed to have it like this? Geesh!

My specs are

Intel 2.4ghz @ 2.7ghz

Asus p4g8x

2x256MB DDR (Dual DDR)

Hercules 9500 Pro (ATI latest drivers catalyst 3.2)

What now? Should we try hercules drivers instead?

I dont want to go back to old drivers though, more buggs and stuff in games.