Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
freddy

Windows XP DHCP

Hi, it's been a while since I've posted in here, but problems have arisen again. An XP machine on my network has decided to stop getting it's network config by DHCP, I have to manually configure the IP address etc. All the other XP computers on the network are still working with DHCP so it's not a problem on the Router (DHCP server).

What can I try? Why would the XP machine just suddenly stop using DHCP?

Any help much appreciated.

Sam

It wont use DHCP at all, not upon reboot or "repair". Everything works fine manually, but set to use DHCP it doesn't retrieve any settings.

I'd check to make sure Internet connection sharing didn't get turned on by mistake (or intentionally I guess). I'd reset the dhcp router also (I'm assuming that's what you have). You may find that all the other computers on the lan are still just riding out thier lease. I think most routers with built in dhcp default to a lease of 7 days for the ip addresses given out.

One more possible fix ... and I would use this more as a last resort, is to uninstall and reinstall your tcpip stack.

Or try a reset on the TCP/IP stack, by typing this at the cmd line:

Code:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

First post, hey everyone-

I've been having the same problem here. DHCP & DNS on the PDC, one Win2k client, every reboot, has 0.0.0.0 (no IP config). It's not pulling from the DHCP server.

That's IF the NIC cable is connected. If I reboot with the ethernet cord disconnected, login, plug in, all the correct info is there. It seems to have a problem only if it's connected when the NIC is initialized. BTW, it's a 3Com 905B on both server and client.

But sorry I don't have a solution to your XP problem.

Latest drivers? Depends whether I go with the Windows Update drivers or the latest from the 3Com. I'll look at that.

Haven't tried a static IP, but I do have a DHCP reservation for that PC. I'll try that as well.

The patch cables are OK, I think, but I know that the cabling in the wall was repaired a couple years ago. I'll try different cables.

An ipconfig /renew just hangs. As does changing any properties of the IP configuration dialog. I figured that the IP stack was damaged, so I removed it, rebooted, reinstalled it, and it picked up the ip address, but when you reboot, it's gone, or before rebooting, if you change properties of the IP config, it hangs. Strange eh?

But thanks for the tips, greatly appreciated.

:edit: I checked the registry as per the Windows2000faq link, and it's not dependent on the symantec service. It was dependent on:

Tcpip

Afd

NetBT

on top of all that I would check to make sure the dhcp client service isn't

stopped or disabled. probably isn't unless you did it yourself but it is worth a look anyway

Just checked the services, and DHCP & DNS client are both started. I can't check a few of the things, just because I can't kick the user off (our main programmer) during work hours.

I looked in the event log and there's quite a few errors, but I don't know which one would be of most interest. Shall I post the errors?

If you'r getting leases from a PDC, is the DHCP server service running OK on the server? Have you checked the event viewer on the server?

Rgds

AndyF

Here are the logs from the 2000 client that loses the info- I chopped off extra info, I don't know if this is the desired format, but here it is. The first listed event is the first event after the event log startup & Windows 2000 uniprocessor free, etc. I'm checking the server logs now.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: NETLOGON

Event Category: None

Event ID: 5719

Date: 3/3/2003

Time: 8:12:55 AM

User: N/A

Computer: BRAD_DEV

Description:

No Windows NT or Windows 2000 Domain Controller is available for domain ISSI-DOMAIN1. The following error occurred:

There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

EVENTID.net for that error says to visit these 2 MSKB articles, but they don't help. Q228901 and Q247922.

Event Source: Server

Event ID: 2506

Time: 8:12:58 AM

Description:

The value named IRPStackSize in the server's Registry key LanmanServer\Parameters was invalid. The value was ignored, and processing continued.

I've gotten this error before, and I don't think it hurts anything. I just picked it because it was a few seconds after the first error.

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: w32time

Event ID: 54

Time: 8:13:01 AM

Description:

The Windows Time Service was not able to find a Domain Controller. A time and date update was not possible.

Obviously, since the NIC interface's config is blank.

Yep, the subnet's the same, 255.255.0.0 (I'd rather it be 255.255.255.0 but it was set up like that when I hired in). I did notice that on the DC, it's default gateway is pointed to itself. It's NIC address, not a 127.x.x.x addresss. Is that correct? I've got an ISA server set up, but ISA was running on the DC for a long time.

Also, what kind of data & details would you like? I can give you whatever you want/need.

And it's a Windows2000 Server SP3 AD domain, no NT4 machines, some 98/Me, and I think the domain is in mixed mode. I would switch to native, but I just don't know what that would do. Client for Microsoft Networks on all the machines, yes.

PS: I had a problem with nslookup for a long time, it would say UnKnown Server & Default server unavailable, but I seem to have fixed it a few minutes ago. Just rebooted another 2000 machine, and I got Event 5719 again, so the nslookup problem wasn't it.

:edit: Sorry, forgot to mention- we're connected to the internet via 2 56k modems from the ISA server. (Thought it might relate to the default gateway setting)

Here are the results from a few machines. MP3 & Brad_dev have the rebooting problem. ShouckXP is my machine, and ISSI-SERVER2 is the DC.

Windows 2000 IP Configuration (Another machine with rebooting problem)

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mp3

Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : issi-domain1.local

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR FA311/312 PCI Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-E3-02-AC-49

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.0.99

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.0.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, March 04, 2003 10:05:50 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, March 12, 2003 10:05:50 AM

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : brad_dev

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI TX NIC(3C905B-TX)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-04-AF-37-97

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.0.21

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 03, 2003 8:46:38 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, March 11, 2003 8:46:38 AM

Windows IP Configuration (XP Client that does not have problem)

*Notice that DNS Server is filled in*

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : shouckXP

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : issi-domain1.local

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : issi-domain1.local

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C905B-TX)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-04-B0-D7-AB

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.0.17

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.0.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, March 04, 2003 9:35:23 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, March 12, 2003 9:35:23 AM

Windows 2000 IP Configuration (Domain Controller)

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : issi-server2

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : issi-domain1.local

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C905B-TX)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-04-AF-37-68

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.0.1

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.0.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.0.1

Quote:
That's DNS info, right? Is your MAIN box acting as its own DNS server without pointing to another one out there online??

On your first question regarding the DC pointing to itself, if it's acting as its own DNS server it still has to ask for URL to IP resolution SOMEWHERE, at least for outside internet addresses I imagine... ISA server handles that for you though, right?

Yes, the DC is running DNS, but only for addresses internal. For web requests, yeah, the requests go through the ISA server. Although I don't know how the DC determines to use the ISA server, because it's not defined anywhere on the server. The clients all have the MS Firewall Client installed & proxy set up in their browsers. Should the default gateway be the IP of the ISA server? If so, internal(NIC) or external(Modems) interface?

It seems to me like there's some correlation between this DHCP problem and the NIC Connection Properties dialog hanging when I change IP settings. Doesn't it seem that way?

Sorry to interupt the thread but as to my initial problem I have investigated further and found that the DHCP service cant start because a service it is dependant on can not start.

The service that can't start is the SYMTDI service. I have no idea what that is, never come accross it before. The error in event log is:

Event Source: Service Control Manager

Event ID: 7001

Date: 03/03/2003

Time: 11:42:36

Computer: JAMES

Description:

The DHCP Client service depends on the SYMTDI service which failed to start because of the following error:

The system cannot find the file specified.

Event Source: Service Control Manager

Event ID: 7000

Date: 03/03/2003

Time: 11:42:36

Computer: JAMES

Description:

The SYMTDI service failed to start due to the following error:

The system cannot find the file specified.

Does this throw any light on a solution?

Problem solved! laugh

Someone must have removed Norton Antivirus. The uninstall didn't remove DHCP's dependency on that service, SYMTDI. Good old NAV eh ;(

A simple regedit:

from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet, Services, Dhcp.

Double-click the key DependOnService

remove what will probably be the last item in the list, SYMTDI. Leave everything else alone

click OK.

close RegEdit and reboot

And DHCP is working again smile

Quote:
Someone must have removed Norton Antivirus. The uninstall didn't remove DHCP's dependency on that service, SYMTDI. Good old NAV eh ;(

Not that it helps at this point, but interestingly enough, I was just reading something about that yesterday...

Freddy, glad you got your issue resolved! smile It's just too bad it's not that simple for me 8)

I'm unfamiliar with what IP forwarding is exactly. I'm also unclear whether we should have a default gateway or not. Basically, it's a small office, with one main server (WAS connected to the internet, but now it's a seperate machine) running DNS, DHCP, AD, etc. So any internet (external) requests just get routed through the ISA server machine.

:edit: Oh yeah, the main server is also running stuff like Exchange 2000, SQL Server 7, Borland Interbase, ISA Server is still installed, but the services are stopped.

0.0.0.0 is a legitamate IP address in the sense that it is actually a broadcast sent by a DHCP client as part of thr DHCP Discover. as follows.

The first time a DHCP client computer attempts to log on to the network, it requests IP address information from a DHCP server by broadcasting a DHCPDiscover packet. The source IP address in the packet is 0.0.0.0 because the client does not yet have an IP address. The message is either 342 or 576 bytes long—older versions of Windows use a longer message frame.

In other words, your machine is trying to obtain an IP address.

In regards to switching between Native and Mixed Mode for your environment, I see no compeling reason ATM.

ISA server is running on the DC? If so and if its multihomed, then the inside nic should have NO default gateway. If the modem is configured as a dial out, then the inside nic still doesnt need a gateway.

This is where I get lost in this thread .... Your DC/ISA server does its own DNS? Does it use root hints or forwarders? Forwarders would probably be more efficient in the scenario.

Have you tried another NIC? I have encountered that malfunctioning NICs can cause only a partial DHCP process .... only doing some of the 4 required steps to get a lease.

169.254 for an internal network should only be used for diagnostic testing and not necessarily the IP standard for your network. Just my opinion for that.

If there is anything that I didnt explain clearly or I am missing something, feel free to ask.

My apologies for the long delay. I found the problem that we were having here. It was the Firewall Client installed from the ISA server. I don't yet know what was causing the lack of connectivity, but removing the Firewall Client allows the system to boot totally normal afterwards. But thanks to everyone who took the time to troubleshoot. Much appreciated.

Folks

I have the same problem (static ip works, dynamic ip doesn't) under XP.

It's not the Norton problem - I did work through that solution.

How do I find the DHCP startup log?

Thanks - Vince Melling