Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
David1982

Corrupt NTFS.sys HELP

System locked up on me this morning out of the blue. Rebooted and now I am getting a message saying NTFS.sys is corrupt. Thought ok well just run the Windows XP Repair. Nope still getting a message saying the same thing during the reinstall. Ok so I thought I might reinstal the OS on a different drive. I tottaly disconnected the primary master drive and still sayes during a install of XP on a totally differnet drive that the NTFS.sys is corrupt. Any Ideas?

David

I would try booting from the XP CD and run the repair console. I have not used it under XP, but I have saved a bunch of 2K systems by using this DOS-like interface. You just have to know where to find the original file. You can do a Help DIR for the commands.

Tried that... HEHEHE thanks for the suggestion... Any reason why I would get that error a brand new clean hard drive?

Nope... I did find that a stick of memory is what was doing it. I pulled the stick of memory and was finally able to get throught a complete install of windows. Stuck the stick of memory in again and it corrupted the same file again. So it looks like there is something funky with that stick of memory. Has anyone ever heard of a stick of memory corrupting files? I have seen where a stick of memory would make the system unstable but not corrupt files.... The stick of memory was in the system for 3 or more months....

Yeah, I've heard of that. To verify it, you can leave the suspect memory in, and run this utility. Glad to hear you found the problem, and thanks for the followup.

Windows installation is VERY memory intensive. It's a fairly simply good memory check in and of itself.

I've seen driver.cab crash a Windows XP Professional install many times, due to bad RAM. I suppose this is due to the filesize.