Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
packman

NTFS instead of FAT32: why slower bootup and shutdown?

I've just finished a major change to my Win2K PC - going from Win2K under the FAT32 file system to Win2K under NTFS. Not a conversion but instead a change from ground zero, involving deletion and reconstruction of the partitions and then reinstallation of Windows and apps.

My programs open much the same as before and files are no faster or slower to access than before, either. However, I've noticed that the bootup time is noticeably longer, and shutdown seems to take an eternity. I timed it a moment ago and Windows and open programs took 80 secs to shut down. That's ridiculous.

I've not installed anything different to before on the machine. In fact, I've installed one fewer app (Nero).

I'm using three partitions, 15GB each. 600MHz CPU, 394MB PC133, UDMA66. BIOS and Device Manager settings for HD transfer rate are okay.

I've been told that this can happen and that there's a fix available for it. Anyone know what that fix is?

Right click My Computer, choose Manage from the menu.

Expand Services and Applications.

Click on Services. Set the Indexing service to Manual (that way it's still available if it's needed.

Expand Indexing Service.

Expand System.

Click on Directories.

If any are set to Yes, double click them, set them to No, and click OK.

Bursar,

I found Services and then Indexing Service. In the Properties of the latter I found some unknown tabs. There appears to be no way of changing from automatic to manual, though, and the remainder of your instructions bear no relationship to what I found. Are you sure you're referring to Win2K?

It's pretty much what Bursar has already posted (and yes, it's in win2000):

1) Right-click on My Computer -> Manage

2) Services and Applications -> Services and look for Indexing service (under Services of course)

3) Set it to Manual (right-click on it and choose Properties)

4) Go back to Services and Applications and go to Indexing service -> System -> Directories and set them to No

I would warn you that disabling the Background Intelligent Transfer Service is not wise as more programs than you realize use it.

Also, RPC Locator is important.

More services than you realize are vital to the smooth running of the OS.

You may wish to review what programs can call upon what services before disabling them, as setting them to manual will not allow them to load, allowing the system to run faster, but also allows those services to be called upon and started when needed. laugh

Quote:
I would warn you that disabling the Background Intelligent Transfer Service is not wise as more programs than you realize use it.
Also, RPC Locator is important.

Well it's just as well no one has mentioned those services then ;(
Quote:
setting them to manual will not allow them to load, but also allows those services to be called upon and started when needed.

Just as well I said that exact same thing several posts ago.