Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bytemangler

Norton Ghost

Can it be done??

I have a print server running on IDE drive right now that controll all printers at work (15 total). I want to do a ghost image of the IDE and transfer it to a new SCSI drive but I want to preserv the current setting so I don't have to re-install drivers. Has anyone done this?

Saddly. With out knowing the OS It's hard to answer. How ever if it's 2k or xp they are going to have issues with this. You will probably get a BSOD on the reboot. What you could try is do the ghost and then do a repair install, might work..

Quote:
Saddly. With out knowing the OS It's hard to answer. How ever if it's 2k or xp they are going to have issues with this. You will probably get a BSOD on the reboot. What you could try is do the ghost and then do a repair install, might work..

Oops sorry,

It's a windows NT server 4.0/sp6a. I kind of think I'll get a BSOD but I'm hoping maybe changing something in the BOOT.INI will fix it.

I would install the SCSI card before you swap drives over, then install the SCSI drivers and make sure everything is working fine with the controller card just sitting there.

Then Ghost the drives across (not sure if you'll need a SCSI driver for Ghost too?)

I wouldn't guarantee that it will work without much headache, because NT4 is not a PnP OS, and doesn't like things being changed without being told!

Let us know how you get on.

Rgds

AndyF

If the OS is in fact Windows, it BSODs if it has no drivers for the new mass storage controler aka panic.

All you have to do is to assure that the correct drivers for the new IDE or SCSI controller are installed before you change the hardware.

I successfully converted IDE to SCSI(and vice-versa) disks many times on Windows 2000 and XP

Quote:
If the OS is in fact Windows, it BSODs if it has no drivers for the new mass storage controler aka panic.
All you have to do is to assure that the correct drivers for the new IDE or SCSI controller are installed before you change the hardware.
I successfully converted IDE to SCSI(and vice-versa) disks many times on Windows 2000 and XP

Thanks for the info, I will give it a try....

I second that. just install the scsi drivers first and all willl be well..

I used this method to switch motherbpoards from 440bx intel to a via board on windows 2000.

I extracted the 4 in 1's, installed the via ade dirvers (Even though they did not exist on the intel motherboard) shut down, and swapped mobo'. The machine booted and found all hardware and was well.

you should edit the file c:\boot.ini as well to inform the bootloader what disk to access for booting...