Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RobEubank

Screen Saver - Power Mgmt - Reboot - Help?

I need to configure a couple of workstations (Win2k - SP2) to reboot themselves after the screensaver has been active for more than 30 minutes. The screen saver is password protected. I need to log out the user, and return the computer to a usable state for the next user "without administrative intevention". Is there any way to tweak the power management settings to completely reboot the machine or at least log off the active user after a specific period of inactivity?

The problem I'm attempting to work around is locally authenticated users on these systems typically leave without logging out and forces the admins to log in or reset the machine.

I also plan to change the shut down routine for non admins to reboot instead of shutting down. (This I can do through policies)

Unfortunately the user isn't an admin and thus the Winexit.scr doesn't work properly. I even granted full control of the "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version" subkey to no avail. The only way it works as advertised is to make the user an admin and that's not an acceptable solution. Any other suggestions would very much be appreciated.

BTW, If you have the screensaver set to password protected, Winexit doesn't work at all. It just locks the screen like any other .SCR.

If you're running in a 2000 domain context, use user defined group policies to control the screensaver and deploy the correct registry key security permissions.

Works like a charm on our network.